20 | the confrontation

Orion Warner

Orion Warner

The name Xael uttered made me look in the direction Xael was staring at. There stood a guy a few inches shorter than me with a bewildered look on his face outside Vira. 

He asked, "Xael?"

As the grip of her hand in mine got harder, I took a glimpse of her. Xael's face displayed no emotions: it looked blank. As far as I could tell, Xael had always shown her emotions, whether she was happy, excited or impatient. 

This was her own battle to fight so I didn't want to interfere until it was required for me to do it. 

"Hello, Ashton." Xael greeted him in such a cold voice that the hair behind my neck stood upward. 

Ashton scoffed. "It is someone different now, huh?" 

Xael's body tensed, with her knuckles clenched so hard that they were white. With anger radiating from her, it looked like she was ready to punch Ashton. Xael wasn't a person who got angry easily, she was one who was always calm and composed but this was a whole new side of her. 

"I think it's none of your business," Xael stated.

"Oh come! I dated you for the entire senior year of High School," Ashton replied in a mocking tone. 

"You lost the right to talk to me  or have a say in my business when you cheated on me on graduation."

"I told you it was a mistake. I only loved you. You"

Love?

"What we had wasn't love. Maybe a few laughs. Maybe attraction. But if you love somebody, you wouldn't think of hurting them even once."

This time it wasn't Xael who got speechless, it was Ashton with his mouth slightly parted with no words to say. With his reaction, I could assume that the words that Xael said synced into him.

Quickly changing the topic, Ashton glanced at me and then turned towards Xael and questioned, "Why is he glaring at me? And who is he?"

I didn't realise I was glaring at him until he pointed it out.  I mean, was I supposed to smile and shake hands with a cheater? That too a person who cheated on Xael? I would probably at least smile at him if they had a mutual breakup but he cheated on her. 

Looking at me with her striking grey eyes, Xael raised an eyebrow and I smirked.  I kissed her with such passion that it conveyed a thousand things that I was trying to express at the same time. Slowly I pulled apart and placed a gentle kiss on her forehead. 

If Ashton had a mocking face a few minutes back, now he looked enraged. The coffee in his container was about to spill and there was like a chimney that could cause air pollution and damage the environment. 

Instead of shaking his hand, I put an arm around Xael's shoulder and introduced myself. "Hi, I'm Orion. Xael's boyfriend." 

A look of realisation set into him and he said the last thing that was on my mind. "You were the kissing video guy. When I first saw a video of you and Xael, I thought, 'When did Xael become such an internet star?'"