prominence

// lisa knew that the only thing that can lead her to jennie again is a proof that she is not a failure. and she did everything to be that person //

infamous. part two.
_____________________________________

as lisa looked up in the sky, she saw her future. she will be a drunk and a delinquent. her days will always be gloomy, and the only thing that will excite her is the collection of gang fights that she will win. she will be nothing but a disgrace. all she can see is darkness in a future that she's not with jennie.

when she heard her name being called by the girl she loves the most, she turned her gaze. there was jennie, who is almost panting. between those moments, she saw how her life would look like if they are together and she's still like this. it will be full of tears and pain and toxicity. she doesn't want to give that to jennie.

lisa knew, at that moment, that if she keep jennie now, she will lose her later. but if she let jennie go now, lisa will have a chance to have a bright future with her. she might have become too selfish these days, but she knew, her mind is built to choose the latter.

and she left jennie on the hill that day, leaving her the only thing she kept after the accident. as lisa drove away, she felt determined to drive her infamous side away too.

she dropped out of school the next day and collected the needed documents. lisa tried to enroll to other school but they give her a snarky remark everytime they see her records. it was full of failing grades and behaviour alert. she wasn't accepted of all the ten schools she tried to get on, not until she tried to use her father's power.

it was hard finding a school for her, it took her a few months before being accepted in a private school. during those months, she cut off all her connections to the gang she belongs to and the bad people she is associated with.

when those news filled up jennie's school, they looked at her differently. she became that famous jennie kim who broke lisa manoban's cold heart.
__________

and lisa was successful. after getting rid of her habit of smoking, and street racing, she can't quite understand why she felt more alive. for the first time in her life since that day, she was clean.

she kept having that feeling as she tried her best to study. after a year of going to college and trying to be an academic, lisa had straight As on her report card. she felt proud, she knew she is one step closer to what she wants to become.

but it isn't always rainbows and sunshine during those times. she felt pressured more than ever, she felt like she was on the verge of giving up. lisa wants to see jennie. she wants to feel her embrace and she wants to graze her fingers upon her skin. she wants to feel jennie close. but she knew she couldn't.

she tried her best to wake up everyday and think that all these things she do is for her to be better. and so, she kept waking up, and studying, and getting straight As until she graduated college. all on her own.
__________
seven years since that day and she opened up a business. it was funny to think that the once delinquent lisa manoban is now standing up on her own feet. that is exactly what the people, that were once her gang mates and classmates and enemies are thinking when she opened up Manoban Motors on their hometown. but it become more suprising when that little shop of hers started attracting people, and slowly, it opened more branches on other places. all by lisa's hardwork and intellect in handling it.

but lisa felt melancholic, she hasn't seen jennie for so long. when the day of the ribbon cutting for her shop arrived, she didn't see jennie. and also for the days of opening on her other branches. she didn't know what to think, she thought all the possible things that might have happened to jennie, from all the successful ones to the worst case scenarios. she hyperventilated.

she tried to go to the hill, and when she saw it, she almost cried. it was barricaded all around, but the tree that witnessed how she and jennie ended is still there. the place that was once full of green grass has started to become a crowd of buildings. there were some houses now, that weren't there before. it felt nostalgic and suffocating at the same time.

but lisa held on to her promise to herself. she will become better and will only approach jennie when they coincidentally meet again. it has been a long time and she still can't see her, so maybe, this isn't the right time yet.
__________
lisa kept going. for the next three years, the wish to see jennie has grew so much it felt like a lump in her heart sometimes. but it didn't stop her to strive to be the best version of herself.  manoban motors have been a sensation for the past years and knowing that the mysterious ceo of the company is still a bachelorette, girls and boys are huddling to get to know the prominent girl.

too bad for them, for the last ten years, only one person is needed to fill that empty position in the heart of lisa manoban. it is no other than that girl she hasn't seen in a decade.

lisa needed clarity. so she came back  in that very same spot she left jennie. it wasn't just a hill with a tree in it anymore. it was now a district with an arboretum in the middle of it. a commercial district which is very apart from what it is long ago. the tree that symbolizes the love lisa has for jennie, one that is not faltering and growing still instead, is still there. inside the big arboretum, and in the middle of it.

lisa approached the big tree, which is now protected with little bricks in its lower trunk. as she looked up, she felt that strange vision again. as her hand grasped the trunk of the gigantic tree, she saw how lonely she would get if she won't find jennie. she will find herself longing for someone who she haven't communicated with for such a long time. she will be tired of managing a business that allowed herself to be better but let the woman she loves the most go astray. and just like that very same day, at that very same spot, lisa saw darkness in a future without jennie on it.

wind blew on her, causing her to close her eyes to avoid dirt going in. she reached for a handkerchief on her back pocket and used it to make herself presentable. her bangs flew as it is not as rigid as before. as she looked afar, her body tensed up.

walking towards the tree was a familiar face. it looked more mature and stern. she was dressed in a suit and certainly looking like a professional. and lisa felt the wave of emotions surging into her. it was her jennie.

jennie was looking down while walking to the tree that symbolized freedom for her. they were three meters apart when their eyes met for the very first time again. jennie looked at lisa with an evident astonishment. the same girl who left her in this place a decade ago is all like lisa and nothing like her concurrently. she was dressed like businesswoman and she looked like she haven't gone in a fight since she was born. it was not the same lisa in high school whose wardrobe were only longsleeves and tanktops paired with leather jackets. it was not the same lisa who goes to school with a cut on the lip or a bruise in the cheeks. she looked very different. despite that, the way she looks at jennie with such yearning and admiration, is still there.

for the first time in such a long, lonely decade, lisa felt so proud of what she has become. she felt like all the efforts, all the tears she shed, all the sweat that dropped, all the strength she put into herself, had paid off. as she looked at the person infront of her, tears can't help but fall. the day felt right and even without touching jennie, she was overwhelmed.

"lisa..." it was that same voice who reached for her ten years ago. it was the same voice with that same tone that made her heart beat in an insane way ten years later.

"the woman you have become" lisa's heart almost jumped out her chest when jennie gave her a very sweet smile.

lisa knew, at that moment, that this is the right time. she will need to choose between a forsaken life without jennie, and a life full of colour brought by the person she have loved first and she will love until the last. she became better for this day, and she knew that her mind will always choose the latter.
_____________________________________