Barbatos - Tea Leaves

A/n: Kinda Platonic Relationship. Gn! reader

It was getting closer and closer to Halloween. Of course, living in Devildom was always a bit spooky. But it was going to be Halloween nonetheless, much to your pleasure. Everyone had their own booths set up at the RAD's Halloween Festival to raise funds for the student council. Some delivered tricks and others handed out treats. One booth, in particular, could hand out both.

You paused at Barbatos's booth. He gazed up at you with a soft smile and gestured for you to sit. You placed your bag of treats on the floor next to you as you slowly sat down. Teacups were lined up with various cartons of loose tea leaves. Behind the teacups was a teal cast iron teapot containing what you presumed was hot water.

"Would you care to take a glimpse into your future?" Barbatos questioned, his eyes shut as he smiled.

"Are you actually using your powers or just using tea leaves?" You teased lightly.

Barbatos opened his eyes and smirked at you. He raised a single finger to his lips. "For you, I'll bend some rules." You huffed and looked away, a slight blush forming on your cheeks at his teasing. Barbatos chuckled lightly. "I'm not hearing a no." He gestured his hand towards the cups. "Pick on to determine what kind of fortune you'll get."

You looked at the teacups. Each one was a different color but had no indication of what kind of fortune they foretold. You looked up at Barbatos for guidance, but the small smirk on his face indicated he wouldn't be of any help. With a sigh, you picked a periwinkle-colored set with small white flowers painted across the cup.

"Ah, a love fortune!" Barbatos hummed with amusement. Your face burned brilliantly, causing the butler to chuckle. "It would have been a love fortune regardless of which set you chose."

"Barbatos!" You whined, attempting to hide your face with your hands.

He only laughed off and scooped a teaspoon worth of loose black tea leaves before pouring in the hot water. The water slowly turned into a golden-brown color, just a touch darker than honey. Once it was cool enough to not burn your tongue, Barbatos spoke.

"Think of the love that will come to you as you drink your tea until there's a sip or two left. Then, holding the handle of the cup, swirl the liquid clockwise three times. Finally, tip the cup upside down onto the saucer."

You nodded and slowly drank the tea. It was slightly bitter, but not overly so. You kept their eyes off of Barbatos as you thought of the one that you loved. The heat in your face never really simmered down.

"Are you thinking of the one you may love in the future?" Barbatos questioned. He raised a hand to his chin as a sly smile formed. "Or perhaps you're thinking of the one you currently love?" The darkening of your face caused Barbatos's smile to falter ever so slightly. He cleared his throat to hide the fall of his carefully poised persona.

After a couple of minutes, you carefully swirled the tea leaves in the cup and then placed it upside down. Once the excess liquid had drained, Barbatos flipped the teacup so that the handle was facing in his direction. Then, he carefully lifted it as to not disturb the settlement of the leaves.

"One moment, please," he uttered quietly and concentrated. While his eyes were facing the tea leaves, he used his powers to take a glimmer into your future.

His hand nearly lost their grip on the teacup. You shook him as he struggled to place it down. His eyes widened and a faint dusting of pink coated his cheeks. His gaze drifted towards your concerned look. His breathing staggered as he tried to take in everything he saw. The thumping of his heart danced with joy but made it difficult to form a coherent thought.

"Barbatos? Are you alright?" your voice snapped him out of his trance.

He smiled softly and reached to envelop your hands with his own. "Very much so. I see your fortune bringing us great joy."

Happy Halloween~~

Words:680<3