Sinners.

The weight of what I had done bore down on my shoulders as I slipped into the night. I killed him. The words swam in my brain, growing in weight. I know I am a God Father, but that was my first kill, and it was a man that had worked alongside my family all my life. He wasn't a good man, that was obvious, but was it right to kill him? I couldn't quite shrug it off, but I had to continue with my duties.

I stopped outside house 15, and knocked on the door. The lights were low, just as Anthony's had been the other night.

Jack greeted me with laughter and jokes, "Hey! Get in here, they're drunk off their asses!"

I smiled, but kept quiet. After many years of only knowing my father for company dealing with people isn't my forte. I can talk to people, and I can put up a pretty good act, but it's always awkward enough for me.

Inside the others sat around the table, and there were a few candles dotted around the room.

"Do you not have a basement?" I asked him.

He shook his head and ushered me to the table.

They all waited expectantly as I pulled out the wad of folded papers from my pocket. Four separate forms were handed out, and they all glanced over the terms and conditions without reading too deep, all except for Max. Max was reading it in detail, examining each sentence on the page.

Why is he so suspicious all the time?

"All you have to do is read them over, and with at least one other present sign them, and I will sign them too. They will be filed and you will receive protection from further Mafia actions." As I spoke they nodded.

Anthony was eager to sign the papers, "I will go first again. I want to get this over and done with."

"Sure, but can I ask why it's so important to you?" I said, moving to stand beside him.

"It just means a lot to me that I submit."

Jack put the pen on the table, and Anthony picked it up and signed the papers, and I went to sign them but hesitated.

"Are you sure? This can't be undone, and I can ask a favour of you once it is done. Have you read everything you need?" I didn't want him to enter into this too fast, it was important that he was doing the right thing for him, he could just pack up and leave town.

"I am more than sure. Sign it, please. This is my best option and I will do whatever you ask." It seemed like he was begging.

"Okay." I signed the dotted line and he sat back, as if he was relieved.

There wasn't anything too bad about submitting, but I had to make sure he was doing the right thing instead of running. If we got caught and taken out, those who signed over would feel the pain as well.

"One down, three to go. Who's next?" I asked, taking a seat at the head of the table.

Mark signed next, then Adam, and Max came and sat next to me.

"Well, you ready?" I asked.

"It's like we're signing our souls over to the devil." He stated.

I winced at the comment, feeling mildly offended, "I'd rather you didn't say that about me, I am a Catholic."

"Oh. Sorry. I just don't feel like this is trust worthy. Why would it be so bad if we entered into this and weren't allowed to back out?" Max questioned, sitting back in his chair.

"Well, if I was to go down, the documents would be released to the town and you'd be seen as traitors. You might get prosecuted for joining us, and that's not something I want for potential or past friends. I'm not evil, despite what you might think. I didn't choose this role, Max." It felt like I was giving myself an excuse, I didn't choose this role, but I chose to do extra dirty work. The fact that I'm planning to kill him and Adam made me feel crooked and hypocritical, but it was needed.

"Fine. I'll sign it, to give the others peace of mind." He was making eye contact with Adam, who seemed to smile softly at the comment. Something was going on, and I'd find it out what.

He signed the line, and I signed the one bellow and it was all done.

"Thank you. These can be filed this evening if I go now. I will try my hardest to keep you out of Mafia affairs." I was about to leave, but I stopped, "And Mark, thank you especially, for covering my tracks today. I appreciate it." I gave a quick glance to Max as I spoke and he seemed to smirk.

What is he planning?

I can't trust him, and I wont. Him and Adam are doing something, and I need to know what.

I walked out of the house, leaving the men to consider what they had done. My hands still itched and it was like I could feel blood soaking into my skin. I had to do something to make this better.

The sun started to rise and it set the sky on fire, shades of red and pink covering every inch of it, and it was tempting me to the church.

The heavy door swung open without too much trouble, and the place seemed dusty and redundant in it's purpose. A church in a town full of killers didn't give much hope, but it held precious memories for me.

The place now stood stagnant, and grey, but if I closed my eyes I could see it how it used to be. The stained glass windows painting the podium all different shades of blue, green and red. The air was fresh, and it smelt of summer. My mother and father sat in the front, and me and John chased each other around the rows of empty pews. My mother held her friendly smile and my father seemed unimpressed. When the priest walked in from the side John and I sat down where we were meant to. Mother held my hand in hers and when she looked down at me... I remember her sapphire eyes and golden hair. The room made her seem like an angel.

It's sad that this place holds the fondest memories of my mother, but it was where she seemed happiest. She wasn't the purest of women, but I can always see her walk in here, and go straight to the confessional. She sinned, she sinned often, but her repentance held as much weight as any one else.

We loved her very much, and although father did his duty in killing her, I never forgave him.

Walking in from school, the door clicking softly shut. I'd been out later than I was allowed and I knew I would be in trouble for being on the streets in the dark. I walked in, and heard silence. John stood quietly at the entrance to the basement and his face held all the sorrow of a widow.

"John?" I mumbled, stepping towards him.

He looked at me, he had reached his breaking point and was on the verge of crying, "Don't go down there, Anthony."

I pushed gently past him and crept down the stone steps. My father sat at his table on the edge of his seat, gun perched on the corner of his desk. My gaze was pulled from him to the floor in front of the desk. My mother was sprawled on the concrete, her face lying sideways and her eyes glassed over, the blood slowly spreading across the ground. The puddle seemed to continue to grow each second I stood there, and she never got up. It was like I was watching her life force drain out of her, and I could do nothing to stop it. My father looked up at me and I wanted to run away. He gestured for me to come forward and I shuffled to the last step, but went no further.

"I had to." He said simply.