Explanations.

There was a knock at the door just as I was getting ready to leave for Anthony's. I rushed over and pulled the door wide open. You idiot, be more careful about throwing open doors in the night. What's the worst that could happen? The medium from the other night stood huddled and nervous on the doorstep.

"I thought you said the God Father lives here? What are you doing here?" She asked, obviously confused.

I ushered her in and shut the door behind her, "I guess it's time to confess that I am the God Father."

"Oh... I guess that makes sense." 

"You're here to submit, aren't you? I forgot you were coming, I've made arrangements for my evening."

He eyes widened and she blushed.

"No, not that kind of arrangements. I need to discuss some things with a friend." I corrected myself.

"I just wanted to get this thing over with. Should we do this tomorrow instead?" She asked.

"It's fine. Just tell me your name and code name and I'll have the papers drawn up and you can sign them tomorrow."

"Oh, my code name... It's Deodat Lawson, I couldn't think of anything clever and so I got given a random name. It's stupid, I know. My real name is Laura."

"It's perfect." I paused a minute to look her over, and she seemed just as perfect as she was in the dark room the night I met her. There was no question about how perfect she was in every way, and she would provide me great cover if I could convince her to be my "beard".

Perfect in every way, minus the fact she's female, right? Obviously. We are gay. I almost rolled my eyes at the voices.

"I need to leave soon, but we can meet again another night. I will come to you and we can sign the papers. Just make sure you've thought this over and it's a better option than just running." I stated.

"Okay. Thank you, and I'm very sure my mind is made up..." She paused, "I can't help but feel I'm betraying the town though, how many people have submitted?"

"A lot. Even the mayor... Adam, submitted. I think that's why he was sorry..."

"If he submitted why did you kill him?"

"That's a good question, and one we can discuss another time. We have to go now."

"Okay..."

I let her out of the door, and followed a few minutes later. I stayed close to the houses as always and arrived at Anthony's in no time. He answered the door and we sat in his basement in the dark.

"What did you need to talk about?" He asked.

"Don't hate me for this. We've been friends before, and we're starting to be friends again, so just don't hate me." I said quietly.

"You killed Adam. I know. Max came to me before you arrived."

"I'm sure he made it worse than it was..."

"He said that they were together and you broke into the house and terrorized them before shooting Adam in front of Max."

"Well... Don't you understand what a risk Max is to me? He murdered my brother and insulted the people I loved... I was going to kill him, and then..." I paused, "I realised I could make him suffer like I did without John, and so in that moment I decided to make him pay."

"You killed Adam, to mess with Max?"

"Yes... I regret it, I very much regret it. Adam was a good guy and I never wanted to hurt him, I just had to put Max in his place."

"I get it, I guess. Don't you think we should find a retributionist though? We have a chance to right that wrong whether you then decided to kill Max or not."

"I was thinking about it... And Anthony, if there is a retributionist, there's a chance we can bring back John."

He stopped, and even though I could barely see him in the darkness I felt him shift.

His voice came out more broken, like he was trying not to sound emotional, "Do you really think we could get him back?"

I was smiling at him, "I don't know how that crazy black magic shit the mediums, retributionist and witches use works... But I met the medium, and she wants to submit, and if I talk to her about it she might know. If we find this retributionist and revive John, we can't revive Adam."

"John..."

"You can be with John again."

There was a long silence in which he was thinking, and he spoke seriously the next time.

"What else did you need to talk to me about?" He asked.

"Steven. He was talking too much today. Have you spoke to him about submitting yet?"

"Briefly. He seemed excited to talk to me again, but when I brought up the idea of the Mafia he went quiet. I'm not sure what he thinks, but it's best that you speak to him soon."

"I agree. I have plans for tomorrow though... I have to take the papers to the medium tomorrow, and I was hoping to discuss something else with her. I can push that along one more night to visit Steven though..."

"I can take the papers to her to be signed, and then leave them back at your house for you to sign them?"

"You need a witness... Could all four of us meet here? You could convince Steven to come here and I could convince the medium to come here too."

"Sounds like a plan. Is that all you needed?"

I considered telling him about the voices, but I concluded that I would sound crazy. Weirder things have happened, but in my state I think it could just be that I'm insane. No shit. Bullshit, we're fine. This is normal.

"Yes it is." I was about to get up and leave, but I stopped, "You never told me if you were going to help try and revive John."

"I know."

He's not going to stop being secretive and cryptic about it. Just leave. I hate to agree, but we're right.

I sighed and left anyway. We can't do anything until we find the retributionist, so it's another hunt.

I just hope that Anthony cared about John enough to help me do this, and that I can distract Max, and that I can convince Steven to join us, and finally that I can get Laura to help me.

Is this what it is to be a God Father? Too much work and distrust? Maybe I should have just stayed isolated... This game was hard enough to win before I got so involved. Yeah you idiot. It'll all be worth it in the end.

The truth is, I just want things to be how they were years ago. 

I want to have John back, and I want to have Anthony and Steven by my side. I don't want to be a God Father.

I don't want to be alone.

-------------

Do you mind that some of these chapters are just filler? I promise to make him and Steven meet soon.

I orginally intended for this to be a short thing where they met in chapter four... That went out the window.

I'm sorry XD