Game over

Of course he would just leave his gun on the dining table, I guess he was sitting there just waiting.

Ze goes back to his chair and just watches me, and so I awkwardly make my way to the chair opposite him. I bite down on my tongue in anticipation, but he doesn't move the gun. I let myself breathe, trying to seem calm.

"Where'd he go?" I ask.

"Huh, what? Oh. Chilled. He just didn't come straight home. At first I thought he might have had a bad encounter with you, but you're here so..." Steven was obviously riddled with anxiety over the situation.

"He'll come home. All the bad guys are dead now, right?" It comes out slightly bitter, and it makes his eyes fill with pity.

"I'm sorry, Adam. I really didn't know what else we could do... Max wasn't himself anymore."

"What do you think I was trying to do, you people have no idea how to handle a situation properly. He was sick, and I was taking action. I went to talk to him, I was helping him remember. I was going to deal with him, maybe leave this town and go elsewhere." I start to drift off into images of an ideal reality, but snap back when the word guilt rings in my skull.

"You know what they do to sick people here. They would have thrown him in a cell, or... Or." He gulps, pausing to find the words, and I just shake my head.

But it was still my fault. I'm the criminal, I need to be locked up.

"Can we not? I just came here to discuss something private with Chilled." I dodge the topic of Max, the pain in my chest growing with every minute, and every thought of him.

The silence settled, and Ze's fingers danced across the table in front of him, stumbling over each other and eventually falling into a steady rhythm of tapping. The front door clicked and Steven's fingers stopped dead and his head whipped round to face the person entering the house.

"Steven we need to talk- Oh, Adam." Chilled said loudly, closing the door behind him.

Ze stood up, "I'll go upstairs, and I wont listen in. Adam has something to talk to you about." He wandered off up the stairs, as Chilled was distracted watching him go I reached over and quietly grabbed the gun, slipping it under the table, and then I heard a door shut softly in the near distance.

Chilled took Ze's seat and placed his hands clasped together in the centre of the table. I left mine underneath, running my fingers over the cold metal that was becoming clammy with my sweat.

"What was it you need to say? If it's about - him - I don't really want to talk about it." Anthony muttered, making the scene much more intimate.

I killed him. I'm guilty. I'm guilty.

"I don't want to talk about him either, but we need to. At least, we need to talk about what he said." As I spoke I snapped the safety out of place, making the gun live. I have to trust that Ze kept it loaded.