Just a suggestion.

"A death occurred in the night, and one that brings a great deal of fear and sadness." The executioner took a deep breath and shuffled on the stage, "Adam Montoya, known better as SeaNanners, was brutally murdered by a member of the Mafia. He was a great man, and our devoted mayor. He wrote a brief will, but it held no information, only that he was sorry. He didn't state what for, simply that he was sorry."

There were various responses from the town, mostly sad grumbles. I made a snap decision, it was one that was meant as an apology to Adam himself, for what I did. I stepped forwards and pulled myself up onto the stage, overlooking the confused townies.

"I say that we all bow our heads in silence, for Adam. A minute of respect and remembrance for those of us who knew him." I said it loud and clear, and most people gave me weak smiles of appreciation. I felt Anthony's hand on my shoulder, and I looked to see him nodding at me. 

"Yes, lets." He responded, and he bowed his head.

I was about to bow my head, when I saw one face stilling looking up expectantly. Max. He stared directly at me, his eyes were unforgiving, and they felt like ice. It sent shivers us my spine, and not in a good way. It was a glare of pure hatred and disgust.

I quickly let my head hang and stood with the others in the excruciatingly long silence that I had called for. All the while I could feel that Max hadn't moved. Even when it was over and we went into the booths I could still feel his stare, even when he wasn't anywhere near me I could feel it.

He can loathe me all he wants, I already feel bad enough. 

You killed his boyfriend you twat. 

Great, an internal argument, just what I need. 

Jesus, stop with the self pity, you're a horrible human being.

I tried to block out my thoughts and focus on the task at hand, hiding any evidence that I may have had a part to play in the murder. The chat was mostly boring, and no-one did much other than hand out condolences about the loss. I tried to stay quiet.

"I can think of something better to do than mope over this death. Start asking helpful questions." - ZeRoyalViking.

"That's a very suspicious thing to say, Ze. What kind of questions do you propose asking?" - Minx.

"Something like, 'Oh lookout, do you know who visited Adam by any chance?' Or maybe even 'Hey, is there a retributionist or some other crazy healer out there willing to help revive Adam?' Just a suggestion." - ZeRoyalViking.

"I hadn't even thought of that, good work." - GassyMexican.

Holy fucking shit. I need to jump in on this.

"Well, do we have a retributionist?" - ChilledChaos.

We all waited for a response, and it didn't come. It either meant that the retributionist was hiding, or didn't exist. Which meant I either had double the worries, or no real worries other than Max.

"Take that as a no. Any lookouts watch Adam last night?" - ZeRoyalViking.

No response again. It wouldn't have been awful, because Max's name would show up too, and I had the excuse of Escort.

It seemed as if Steven was starting to try and piece things together, I'd have to go to Anthony about him and see what progress we had made. It sparked more suspicion, but also a lot of good memories. Memories of all of us together, the two Anthony's, Steven and John. Four friends, torn apart by death, by Max and Adam.

I winced at the thought. You fucking killed Adam, can you try and not soil his name after that? I agreed with my subconscious, it's not something I want to do. John's death wasn't really anyone's fault, it couldn't have been stopped. Unlike Adam's death, when you could have just not killed him.

It was revenge though, for the familia. I can't directly blame anyone, but I guess it's something like a show of power. I'm not saying I didn't have a choice, I very clearly did, it's just it felt like the right thing to do. You're sick. But we're also right.

Max was a threat, maybe even more so now, but I put him in his place. I had two targets and two choices, I just happened to pick the wrong one. Depending on how angry Adam was with me, I could find someone to revive him and maybe he would convince Max to back down.

The image of Max cradling Adam in his last few minutes flashed across my mind, and I felt a pang in my chest. Why did I fucking do it? So you're owning up to it too now? The mental conflict doesn't really help, I should consult someone about that, maybe Anthony.

The chat died down and no real accusations were thrown, and so we all got up and walked out. Max stood towards the back of the building, and I could sense he was watching me again. I tried not to rush out, and instead paced myself. Casually I walked up to Anthony and grabbed his shoulder.

He looked at me with raised eyebrows and I did a small nod. He smiled and walked away, and I did the same. Not wanting to be alone with my thoughts is fair enough, and I'd also had a new idea.

If there was a retributionist in this town, if there was even the smallest chance, I'd want to find them. As bad as I feel about killing Adam, it wouldn't be for him. To convince the retributionist to do what I want would be nearly impossible, but I just wanted to try.

Maybe, just maybe, they could bring back John.

-------------

I wasn't sure how to continue from last chapter, and this was mainly boring filler. However, things should heat up again eventually. I have one specific plan that I will very much enjoy, you guys might not, but I will XD

Just so you know there's like some weird three way split in Chilled's thoughts. The italic one just sort of hates him, the bold one just sort of hates the italic one and then the normal text is just sort of a regular person XD