One Way or Another

~3rd Person~

Chiron walked out onto the porch of the big house. It was a beautiful afternoon, with the sun shining high and bright in the sky, thanks to his own control over the weather in Camp Half-Blood. If only he knew just how inappropriate the brilliant weather was for such a sorrow filled day...

The old centaur caught sight of the mortal newspaper on the porch, and slowly bent over to pick it up. Chiron always loved to see what was happening in the world in a mortal's perspective, and so he had asked Hermes a while back to bring him the mortal news papers New Yorkers received every Sunday.

As Chiron began the process of picking up the newspaper, he had already begun to read the first page. He nearly dropped it as soon as he had processed the headline.

BLOFIS FAMILY FOUND DEAD IN APARTMENT

Chiron's eyes widened in horror as he read the same headline over and over again, making sure he hadn't misread something. Wasn't Blofis the last name of the man who had married Percy's mother?

With curiosity clear in his eyes, the old centaur read on, shock and horror streamed into his features just as quickly as the color drained from his face.

This is what it read:

A thought to be routine 911 call quickly turned into one of mass proportion, as local police discovered the bodies of Paul and Sally Blofis, responding to a call about screaming. Each body contained one fatal puncture wound, presumably the work of a knife. With no signs of forced entry,in which investigators are led to believe that the victims may have known their killer. As to who this killer might be, there is seemingly no evidence that could give investigators a lead. In many ways, it is looking as though this may be the first unsolved case for this team of investigates in five years.

Chiron continued to stare at the text for several more minutes, allowing everything to set in. Percy's mother and step father were dead. How would Percy react? How will this effect him?

Sighing deeply, Chiron began to rub his temples. Whatever happened, it was almost certain it wouldn't be good.

Hastily, Chiron hurried back into the solitude of the Big house. He couldn't deal with this now, especially so soon after the second great prophecy.

~3rd person (Percy)~

"Percy I-" Sally opened the creaky door to Percy's room, her thoughts, originally set on breakfast, now changed rapidly as she saw the tiny figure of Percy sleeping soundly in his bed. For a moment, Sally, gazing upon the rarely peacefully face of her son, she almost considered letting him sleep. It was just 2nd grade, right?

She shook her head, scolding herself for such thoughts. Peaceful or not, school was important, even if Percy didn't think so. It was because of her high school diploma that she could even consider working at the Candy shop down the street.

Sally walked into the small bedroom, turning on Percy's lamp in the process. Unlike the man she lived with, a bastard by the name of Gabe, she thought it was important to stay calm and collected around Percy, even in the most rushed of situations.

Sally laid a soft hand on Percy's shoulder, gently shaking him. "Percy, honey, your going to be late for school."

In response, a small and muffled groan came from under the covers. Percy began to roll over, as if to ignore his mother, but Sally stopped him.

She sighed. "Percy, please get up, its your first day in second grade! You can't be late on your first day!"

A small head topped with raven black hair popped out from underneath the covers, two groggy sea-green eyes staring up at Sally. "School is stupid. I just want to sleep, please! Just a little bit longer!" Percy whined, his bottom lip poking out in an attempt to pout.