Order Up

"I'll take the popcorn nuggets. No sauce. To go." I said through my veil of hair to the boy behind the counter. I looked up at the boy, and saw a glimpse of nerd glasses, and a curly brown mop. Several rubber band bracelets and woven bracelets covered his arms. He sure didn't look like he belonged working at KFC.

"Anything to drink?" He asked with a shy smile on his face.

" No, that's all." I said. I may have been abrupt, but I wasn't in the mood for talking to boys. After I dumped my boyfriend, Andrew, a few days ago, I started my unhealthy eating, which led to me being here.

"Here you go," he said as he handed me a waiting line number. 18. No one else was here, so I took my time getting my wallet out of my pack. I payed for my meal, and sat down at a table close to the ordering station at the front. I brushed my long hair from my face, and got a closer glance of the boy. Besides his glasses, I noticed his hair was held up by a bandana. An effort to keep it out of my food or a fashion statement, I couldn't tell. He was cute, but after Andrew, I told myself that I would never fall for a boy again. I looked at the tag on his shirt, to see his name, but after I sa it, I knew I was attached to him. ~Ashton~, it said. I let the name roll on my tongue, and soon my number was called.

"18?"

I went to the counter to grab my food, and he held it out to me. As he did, the bracelets on his right arm slid down, and I saw several line across his wrist. I knew they were cut scars, and then I realized why he wore so many bracelets. When I reached out to grab the bag, I let my sleeve slide down my arm, to show my scars.

I had only started cutting after Andrew and I broke up, because I was depressed and upset. The boy, Ashton, saw my scars, and then knew I had seen his. Both of ours wrists had fresh scars. I hope I didn't look obvious looking at him like that, but I didn't want to pity him, either.

"Thanks." I said while taking the bag. I walked toward the door, only briefly glancing at the employee of the month bulletin board. This month, July, had a picture of Ashton, and, his last name. ~Ashton Irwin~ it stated. As I opened the door out, I repeated his name over and over in my head.

Ashton Irwin, Ashton Irwin, Ashton Irwin.