Moving Day

I found the children's mum out back, trying to keep them calm, as she was also instructing the moving van people to bring the davenport through the back porch to the basement.

"Harry, Lauren, just stay still! We're almost done! Keep yourselves entertained," she spun around and saw me, a startled express on her face.

"You' must be Abby. Your mother just called and said you'd be coming. It would be a huge help if you watch the kids for me. I don't want you to break your back moving furniture."

"Thank you, Mrs..."

"Irwin. No... just called me Anne-Marie. I'm not that old, you know."

Irwin? That was Ashton's last name. This was his family? His mother was sassy, and I liked her right away. I blushed at the comment about making Anne-Marie feel old, but she was just trying to embarrass me. The girl, Lauren, had pretty brown hair, and seemed pretty quiet. Harry, the boy, had a devilish smile on his face. I knew this was going to be a lot of work.

"My son Ashton will be here in a few minutes. He's getting off of work right now. He'll come out here to help you."

"Okay, Anne-Marie. I'll keep them busy."

"You know what, Abby? I like you already."

————————————————————-

"Okay, so Lauren, what do you want to do? You guys could splash around in the park pool across the street, it's a scorcher out there today."

"Our swimsuits are in the house," Harry said matter-o-factly, " duh."

"Jeez, Harry, don't be rude. I don't see you coming up with any ideas," Lauren said, sticking up for me.

"It's okay you guys. I guess the hot weather is getting the best of us. I could go get my sprinkler system and we could run through it. You can keep your clothes on, or I could go ask your mum for the suits."

"That sounds like fun! I'm sorry for being rude, it's just that without-"

"Don't say it Harry," Lauren said as she covered her ears.

"Dad," Harry whispered to me. I completely understood why Lauren didn't want to talk about it, just like I never wanted to talk about my father. Either he died or moved out, got a divorce or cheated, I understood where Lauren was coming from.

"I'll go grab the sprinkler. Harry, come with me. Lauren, you can stay here. We'll be right back."

Harry and I walked over to my house through the gate, and he then told me about his father.

"My dad left us when Lauren was two. I wasn't born then, so it's not as hard for me. My mum made him leave because he had another child named Josh, and he was cheating in my mum. We left our old house last week 'cause it reminded us too much of him. Don't tel Lauren I told you. I just thought you should know."

"Thanks, Harry. I won't tell her. You know, my dad left my mom to marry my new step-mom. She's a total b***h. Sorry, you should'nt have heard that. It's just, she's so fake. Anyways, let's get the sprinkler. Your sister is waiting."

I grabbed the sprinkler system from my garage, and brought it to the Irwin's backyard. By that time, I had forgotten all about Ashton. I set it up, and I didn't back away quick enough. It sprayed me with lots of water, and I was soaked. I realized that Harry and Lauren had turned on the water before I told them too.

"Ahh! I'll get you!"

"Run Lauren," Harry shouted," don't let her catch you!"

I ran after them, grapping the hose from their yard, since he sprinkler was attached to the hose in my yard. I twisted the nozzle to the ~Hard Blast~ setting, and ran after them. I used to be in track when my dad lived with us, but I quit because it reminded me too much of him. The ground was muddy, and everyone started slipping. I got Harry straight in his smiling face, and he ducked behind the garden post. He quickly came out, because he saw someone coming down the lawn.

"Ashton!," he shouted. I dropped the hose and ran to find Lauren, so we could play girls versus boys.

I found her hiding in the hedge that separated the two neighborhoods, and we split up to get Ashton and Harry.

"Boys vs. girls!"

The sadness in Lauren's voice was gone from before, and I knew I had distracted her.

Lauren picked up the hose, and sprayed Ashton in the butt. He screamed like a girl, and ran after her. Lauren threw me he other end of the hose, and we placed it where he was going to run, a booby trap of sorts. When he got to it, he tripped, and saw me holding the hose. I quickly sprayed him, and then he came after me.

"Lauren, help!" Ashton was a very good runner, and chased me around the whole yard. When I passed the porch, a bucketful of water came down on my head, soaking me from head to toe. I lifted the loose hair from my face, and looked up to see Harry grinning evily. I didn't know that he was up there, and when I thought some more about it, I didn't have enough time to run, and Ashton caught up to me. He grabbed me around the waist, and I began to shout.

"Stop it! I surrender! The boys are the winners."

I winked at Lauren, to signal I was fake surrendering. Ashton let me go gently, and didn't see Lauren grabbing the hose. Ashton was fairly dry, but once Lauren was done with him, he was more wet then me. His curly hair was now plastered to his face, and he looked at Harry for back-up.

"Harry," Lauren shouted," join us!"

Together, Harry, Lauren, and I beat Ashtn very badly. We almost got him to surrender, but then Anne-Marie called us in to eat lunch.

"Come on guys! Time for... Lunch. You're wet."

"I'm sorry Mrs.Irw- Anne-Marrie. We were just playing. I didn't mean for us to get all dirty, or ruin you yard," I said as I looked back at the muddy, torn-up lawn," I can pay for the damage, I feel so bad."

"Honey, I don't care about the god dammed yard. We were going to replant the grass anyway. You did me a favor. However, you guys will have to eat lunch outside. I'll bring it out while you guys dry off. I'll bring some towels for you guys, and I'll tell your mum you're having lunch here. Okay Abby?"

"Thank you," I shouted out after her.

I wrung out my hair (which dripped at least a gallon of water), and prepared to get a good tan while drying off.