Before Dinner

As I enter my garage, my brother Harry surprised me.

"Who's the boy? I can tell by your face," he said, referring to my blushing face.

"For your information, it's hot outside, that's why my face is red. Also, he's the new neighbor, I was just showing him around."

"Yeah, you were showing him around your mouth, too."

"Shut up Harry. I've seen you and your girlfriend. You're not telling mom, are you?"

"Don't look so worried, B, I won't tell. Unless..."

"Harry Alexander Greene, you aren't going to be a snitch. I won't like you anymore."

"So you already do? There's a shocker," he said teasenly.

"Oh Harry."

I ran up the staris to my room, to grab my pajamas to get ready to take a shower. I turned the bath faucet on, deciding to take one instead. While the tub was filling, I got my Vanilla Bath Salts from the cabinet under the sink in my bathroom, and set them on the tub's ledge.

"Ouch!," I shouted when I felt the water, which was scalding,"Better turn it down, or I'll be a tomato."

I turned the water down considerably, and locked the bathroom door so no one would interrupt me. I grabbed my iPhone 4, and plugged it in to my surround sound stereo system. That was probably the most expensive thing in my house, the first present from Christmas my dad, Nicholas, instead of him giving me cash. I would sell the system if we were in trouble, but for now, I'd keep it. I turned the music on to my 'Singing in the Shower' playlist. The first song was American Idiot by Green Day. I sang to it, with my extremely mediocre voice, or so I think. My mum thinks I could become a singer, if the chances weren't so slim. I don't think my voice is that good, but even my music teacher, who hates kids more than the Grinch, says I'm excellent, too.

When the song finished, there was a slight pause, then song #2 started playing. It was Smells Like a Teen Spirit by Nirvana, and I couldn't sing it, so I lip synced. That's the only song on the playlist I couldn't attempt to vocalize. After the part in the song where it went "Hello, hello, how low" a billion times, I heard a loud chime, which signaled I had a text. The song resumed after it became an old notification. I grabbed my towel form the rack next to the tub, and put it around me. I unplugged the drain stopper to let the water out of the tub. I drained the water from my hair for the second time today, and let it run into the tub. I stopped my playlist, and looked to see who had texted me.

The only contact I had were Harry, my mum, my non-present father, my best friend Jasmine Dorhauer, and after this morning, Ashton. The text wasn't from an unknown number, and when it came up, the contact showed the name 'Ashton Irwin' with a winking emoji after it. The actual text said:

"Hey Abby. I had a good day so far. Your mom just brought over her casserole just now. My mum invited you guys over for dinner. Do ya wanna come? -Ash xx"

I saw that he texted me 3 minutes ago, and I quic typed a reply.

"Sorry, I just saw your text. I was taking a bath.(bathtub emoji) Sure I wanna come. Um... this may be weird, but what should I wear?(clothes emojis)

I set my phone down and proceeded to get dressed.

I put on my undergarments, and waited to see what Ashton would recommend for me to wear.

Bing! My phone went off. I grabbed it and opened iMessage.

"Just casual. Whatever you wear looks good on you. We're going to roast mallows after dinner, just so you know."

I grabbed my ripped black and white Jim Hendrix tank top, and black skinny jeans. I donned on a black and red flannel shirt, so I wouldn't get cold later, and also, to cover up my cut scars my mum didn't knkw about. I re-applied minimum makeup, and a vanilla bean body spray. I've had an obsession with vanilla forever, so that's why a lot of my stuff is scented that way. At school, people often say I smell like sugar cookies, and my ex-boyfriend, Andrew, said I looked almost good enough to eat. Ew.

I left my bathroom, grabbing my dirty towel to bring down to the laundry room. I stopped at my closet, grabbing my black Vans, and at least 20 different band bracelets, varying from Blink-182 to The Romantics and everywhere in between. I decided not to style my hair excessively, to keep a casual look. However, I braided my hair and slung it over my left shoulder. I grabbed my towel and proceeded downstairs.

"The neighbors invited us over for dinner, Abby. I agreed with Anne-Marie that we would come. You have 10 minutes before we head over, 'kay?

"I already knew that, mum," she looked at me puzzled, not knowing that Ashton and I had hit off so fast,"I mean, um, thanks. I'm ready to go."

"Are you sure you're okay, B? We don't have to go if you're not feeling well."

"I'm fine. You don't have to worry about me, I'm a big girl," I looked down at her outfit, and saw fuzzy penguin pants,"Also: get dressed before you scare the neighbors away. You didn't go over there like that earlier, did you? Please say-"

"Of course I did, what's wrong?"

"I'm just gonna have to pretend I don't know you if you don't change."

"Fine, I'll change."

"I'm gonna head over there right now, if you don't mind. Is Harry coming with us?"

"He's part of the family, Abby. I don't know if he'll show up, though. And he's, you can head over there now if you want."

"Thanks mum," I said while giving her a hug,"See you in a few minutes."

I walked into the Irwin's backyard, instead of going through the front, and prepared to see Ashton again.