Midnight Memories

The song for this chapter is Mignight Memories. It's the name of the chapter, and what goes on in this chapter. Woah. I know what you're thinking. Not memories like that. I'll just start so I don't dig myself a deeper grave.

We ran away from our house, and into the street. Once we got there, we slowed to a walk, whilst holding hands. 

"Where are you taking me Ash?", I asked as I giggled.

"It's a surprise, Abby. It wouldn't be any fun if I told you where we were going."

We walked for a little while after that, and came to the flagpoles at the start of our development, where the park was. There was a truck in the adjacent parking lot, which I remember seeing in his driveway several times. I walked up to the car with him, and he told me,"Get in."

I hopped into the passenger seat after Ashton opened the door for me. He then got into the driver's seat and put the keys in his ignition. The car radio was on in the car, at the high volume we had when we were listening on the way to band practice that morning. 

The song was Dirty Little Secret by the All-American Rejects, but it blasted out. I quickly reached my hand out and turned the volume down. We looked around and realised that no one had heard us.

"Sorry," he said.

He backed into reverse and drive out of the development. 

"Where are we going Ash?"

"Stop whining," he joked.

"I'll tell you when we get there."

It was a silent ride, except for a little voice coming from the radio. I turned it almost off all the way, but didn't go all the way to prevent a less awkward ride. We came up to a red light on Main Street, and he finally turned to me.

"Now Abby, I'm going to put a blindfold over your eyes so it's even more of a surprise, 'k?"

"All right."

He gently tied one of his bandanas around my eyes and kept driving. After about a mile or so, he stopped suddenly, then let his car crawl at a slow pace.

"Where are we?"

"Fine. You can see. Surprise!"

I yanked the blindfold off my head and realised that we were at a drive-in movie theatre.

"Aww, Ash. This is so sweet."

"You're welcome. There was an earlier showing, but we were... busy," he said, referring to our little 'gang' going to my dad's house.

"Yep. What are we seeing?"

"Mean Girls."

I don't know how he knew this, but Mean Girls was my favourite movie of all time. The original, though. Mean Girls 2 was a total knockoff. Like a fake Gucci purse. Ugh. I was pleasantly surprised with this midnight excursion.

Ashton  paid for the tickets, popcorn, and diet soda. We found a spot towards he front, right near the big screen. He backed up so that we could sit in the truck bed and watch the movie. In the back seat of the truck were some blankets we used to sit on and keep warm, because it was very late at night. We talked until the credits rolled.

(I'm skipping the part of them watching the movie)

We laughed at almost everything and repeated every cheesy line.

"You can't sit with us!"

".. I'm just being a really good friend."

"Is butter a carb?

"That's why her hair's so big, it's full of secrets."

We were one of the last people to leave the drive-in, because the vehicles in the back had to leave first. The ride home consisted of chatter, and singing out if tune to songs on the radio. The ride back was a lot less awaited than the ride there.

Ashton drove into the development, and stopped to park in the park's adjacent lot. We walked back to my house, where we saw Jasmine, who was opening the basement door, so I could sneak back into the house.

I gave him a kids in the cheek goodbye, and told him how much fun I had with him. Jasmine let me in, and we quietly walked up the stairs, and my mom never suspected that I was gone. Jasmine must have spun some serious yarn to convince my mom I never left. We got to my room and sat down on my bed. Before I could even settle down, Jasmine asked,"How did it go?"

She was going to expect a long, long explanation.