Call Me Up

I pedaled back toward my house, and when I was a block away, I saw that the 'For Sale' sign on my neighbors house was covered up with the word 'SOLD'. I wondered who the new neighbors were, and looked the moving van parked in the driveway. ~Roo Moving~, it said. I saw the new people trying to move the heavy furniture into the house, and caught a glimpse of a struggling mother, a adolescent girl, and a grade- school boy moving the items. For a second, the little boy almost lookred slightly like Ashton, but I decided against it. There wasn't a father I saw, and no one my age or Harry's. As I pulled into my own driveway, I hopped off my bike and threw it into the front yard grass. I ran throught the garage, and opened the door that led to the house.

"Harry? Where are you?" I yelled, and I saw my mum cooking a casserole by the oven. I was surprised because my mum should have been at work, but before I had a chance to ask, she explained why she was home.

"Sweetie, I took the day off of work because I decided to bake a casserole for the neighbors moving in. I remember moving in was very stressful, but at least I had your-... uh, never mind that. Where were you?"

I knew she was going to say something about my dad, but she knew that was a touchy topic for me.

"I was just hanging around with some friends. Nothing much. Do you want me to go over and see if our new neighbors need some help? I've got nothing else to do, and it's looks like a handful." I told her I didn't have anything else to do, because I didn't want to sit around on my bum all day and wait for Ashton to call me.

"That's a great idea, Abby. Harry was going to, but he went to get groceries, and he took the van. I heard the neighbors have a boy your age. I don't remember his name, though. His mother said that he was coming home from work right away to help with the move. I think you too will get along well"

She winked at me, as if to say "You guys should date." I knew I wouldn't like this boy, because all I had eyes for was Ashton. However, I wanted to see if he would hit it off with Harry, because he didn't have many friends, and Harry was only two years older than me.

"Let me just get changed upstairs first, so I don't ruin my clothes."

"Abby, aren't they already ruined? With all those holes?"

I rolled my eyes and shook my head, because my mum will never understand the concept of "punk rock".

When I went up the stairs to get to my room, I only altered my outfit by adding a bandana to keep my hair back, a fashion statement courtesy of Ash. After I did my hair, I changed into short shorts, because it was a warm day outside. I bounded down the steps so I could get started moving sooner, kissed my mum goodbye, and walked over to the mum to introduce myself.