Chapter Five . . .

Chapter Five . . .

Dylan's POV

'Dreams, that where I have to go . . . to see your beautiful face anymore, I stare at a picture of you and listen to the radio.' I couldn't help but laugh as Riley sang the song on the radio. She was really something else.

"Something funny officer?" She asked with a raised eyebrow. That was something else about Riley she now had a nickname for me and that was officer, and she always shoved it in my face that I was a police officer while she was a prostitute, but I would never call her that because well I never thought of her as that. I thought of her as Riley.

"Yeah, your beautiful voice." I saw her turn red but instantly she rolled her eyes to cover it up, but I saw it and I was not going to forget it.

"Shush, I love Gavin Degraw." She said and put her hand where her heart was.

"Oh please, the man sings songs about love and wears a top hat. Sweetheart, do you really think what you see and hear is what you're going to get?"

"Are you kidding me! The man is amazing, it's not everyday you see a beautiful man who sings about how he would do anything for you." I smiled and shook my head.

"The guy is probably a douche." She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms.

"You're just jealous."

"About what his hat?"

"No, the man is a handsome creative genius." I rolled my eyes.

"Let's ask my brother what he thinks. Oh by the way we're here." I smiled when Riley's mouth dropped at the sight of everything, but her eyes were full of love. "So are you going to sit there and stare, or do want to meet the idiot in which you will be working with."

She glared at me. "Let's go meet the idiots." She said and together we got out of the car and walked into the house. "Ma!" I yelled when we reached the kitchen, but there was no answer but instead Derek walked in.

"Will you shut up, mom's talking on the phone and . . " He trailed off when he saw Riley. "Well, hello there beautiful. You must be Riley. My brother has been talking about you nonstop and I see why." I felt anger build up inside of me but it was instantly pushed down when I saw how annoyed Riley looked.

"That's great." She said with no emotion. "When can I get started."

"Well, we have to wait for my mother to finish talking, then she'll talk to you, but for now have a seat." He pulled out a chair and motioned for her to sit.

"No, thanks. I'll stand." She said with a smirk and leaned against the table.

"Suit yourself." Derek said and sat in the seat he pulled out. "So, Riley tell me about yourself."

"Nothing really to tell." She said simply and looked at me like I knew something she didn't.

"Oh come on Riley, you know you have things to tell. How about you tell him about how you're in love with Gavin Degraw." Riley tried to look mad but ended up smirking at the end while Derek groaned.

"Not that douche bag. The last girl I slept with demanded that he was playing when I was having sex with her. Sometimes she would scream the lyrics when she orgasmed it was just . . .bad."

"DEREK EDWARD BARKLEY! You will not ever talk about you and a woman having sex in my house! I thought I raised you better." My mother yelled as she walked into the kitchen holding a basket full of laundry.

I was about to run over and take it from her but Riley beat me to it. "Hello Mrs. Barkley, I'm Riley, here let me take this from you." She said and took the basket from my mother's hands. My mother smiled before she turned back to Derek angry as can be.

"Derek, you said all those horrid things while another young lady was in the house! Shame on you! Now get to work before I kick you out of the house."

"But Mom!" Derek whined like he was twelve.

"Go Derek." Derek sighed but got up and left. "I'm sorry about him dear. I thought his father and I raised him better but I guess men are . . . well . . . men."

"Hey! I take offense to that." I argued but both women ignored me.

"It's okay Mrs. Barkley, I have a older brother, I kind of know about what men are like." So, she had a brother, huh? I wonder if he knew about her working the streets and living in a piece of crap apartment. Question that needed answers . . .  later.

"Oh dear please call me Mary."

"So Mary, I really appreciate this job. I'm willing to help out with anything."

"Well I'm glad to see you are a hard worker! Well, I need a lot of help with the horses outside and also some house work."

"Sounds great to me! I love horses and I have no problems with cleaning or cooking. Whatever you need I'm here to help."

"Great, well there is another woman working with us too her name is Karren. She has a younger son named Garret, who I think you have met before. She really is a sweet young woman and I think you will like her."

"I'm sure I will love her."

"Good, now there's just one other person I'm going to need you to meet and that's my youngest son Dean. Hold on one minute." With that she ran to the door leading to our living room and yelled. "Dean! I need you to come meet Riley!" She ran back and we heard the sound of footsteps dragging themselves across the floor. Out came Dean who looked tired and hung over as hell.

"Whoa bro, you okay?" He nodded but put a fake smile on his face as he shook hands with Riley.

"Hello, I'm Dean." He said as they shook hands.

"Riley." She said and stared at him like she was studying him.

"Dean, show Riley the stable and how to feed and clean them." He looked at our mother and nodded.

"Ready?" He asked and began walking out while pulling Riley along.

"I'll be out soon." I called before they left the house. I turned back to my mother who was smiling. "What?" I asked defensively.

"My son is in love." I rolled my eyes.

"Please, it's not love. I'm simply helping out a girl who n-" She held up a hand, cutting me off.

"Cut the crap Dylan. You are my oldest son and I think it's about time you found a woman. And if it helps I like her. No go out and talk to her before one of your brothers steal her up." I rolled my eyes but gave my mother a hug.

"I love you."

"I love you too now get going." I laughed and walked out the kitchen door with a smile on my face.

My mother approved of Riley and apparently from what I saw so did my brothers. Now all I need is for her to trust me.

*******************************************************************************************************

Mrs. Barkley (Mary's) POV.

Oh Lord help me! I prayed as I watched my son walk out the door. It was about time he found a woman. He's alway worrying about his brothers and I that I was afraid he would never get a life and/or wife, but I got a good feeling about Riley. She can probably put all of my sons in their places and still make them smile by the end of the day.

I wish my husband, Paul, was here to see this. Dylan and Paul were very close and when Paul died a part of Dylan died too, but this Riley can bring my Dylan back to life. I can feel it.

Now, if I can only find women for the other two . . .

A/N 2 things one: I'm a HUGE fan of Gavin Degraw and everything and anything said about him by the Barkley boys were only used for entertainment purposes, and two: I have to say this I love Mary Barkley! She is probably my favorite character I created!! I just love her attitude and her motherly love. Comment your favorite character and remember to press the vote button and fan me

Thanks for Reading

XOXOXO

PoisonGirl!