Chapter Seventeen

Chapter 17

Riley's POV

I was moving, but my body wasn't. I tried to open my eyes but the florescent lights caused them to close. I gasped for air.

"Riley? Riley? Can you hear me?"

My eyes were forced opened and a light was shined in them.

"Riley?" My words came out yet again as gasps.

"Okay, Miss Smith. You are at Miner's hospital we are taking you into the OR right now. We need you to relax."

If I could I would of given this guy the finger, but the pain and stress in my body prevented me from even rolling my eyes. I felt a pinch in my arm and I was quickly thrown into a deep sleep.

-------------------------

Dylan's POV

I fell to my knees as I took in the sight before me. My truck was not only upside down but it was crushed on the driver's side. Smoke was coming from every angle. I stood up and tried to run but a man pushed me back just as my truck exploded into flames.

"RILEY!" I screamed as my head began to spin.

"Sir, sir, we need you to calm down." Calm down? Calm down? The girl that I was in love with was in that car and  . . . dead.

"Riley, oh God Riley." I sobbed like a baby.

"Officer Barkley, Miss Smith wasn't in the car." I shot my head up faster than a bullet.

"What?"

"She wasn't in the car." I got off of my knees and grabbed the man by the shoulders.

"Where. Is. She?"

"Ambulance took her to Miner's hospital sir." I pushed the man aside and started running towards the hospital that was about twenty miles away from here.

"Barkley!" I heard someone bark my name and I stopped and saw that it was the chief of police.

"Sir, I have to go, I need to-"

"Enough Barkley, I know your situation, I have someone who wants to speak to you. They are waiting for you at the hospital." I nodded, "Here!" He said and threw me a pair of keys.

"You don't plan on running do you?" He said with a smirk.

I didn't have time to thank him, instead I ran for the police car, turned on the sirens, and was out of there faster than a bat out of hell.

I was at the hospital quicker than what I thought was possible and ran in only to be met by my partner and two brothers.

"What are you doing here?" I asked surprised. I hadn't called them and hadn't even let them know the situation.

"The boss called, told me what was going on and then I called them." Duke said and nodded his head to my brothers.

"Well, have you heard anything? Is she okay?" I said in a panic.

Duke grabbed me by my shoulders and sat me down on one of the waiting room chairs.

"You need to calm down man. You're shaking." I looked at my hands and noticed that they were shaking like crazy.

"Riley, is she?" I couldn't speak the words but death was definitely on my mind.

"She's in the O.R. right now. They won't tell me anything. You have to be family." I shook my head and rubbed the palms of my hands roughly on my face.

"God, if I wasn't such a idiot then she wouldn't be here right now!"

"Bro, you got to calm down and stop blaming yourself." Dean said and put a supporting hand on my shoulder.