Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

Dylan's POV

I sat in the waiting room at the hospital. I swear I should just bring all of my shit in here and just live here because this is where I am constantly at. I rubbed my eyes out of frustration and stared at the clock, and it was only thirty seconds away from the last time I looked at it. My legs wouldn't stop bouncing out of pure impatience. I wanted . . . . no needed to see Riley. I needed to know that she was okay because if she wasn't then I would forever blame myself. Flashes of her popped in my mind. She looked so broken and so helpless, but I could only stand there and watch. She was going to hate me, to want to never see me again, and my heart couldn't possibly take that.

"Mr. Barkley?" A doctor called and I looked up before walking over to him.

"How is she doctor?" I asked and he looked at his clipboard.

"Well, besides the wounds to her face and the old ones she's fine. It's amazing really." I sighed in relief and smiled.

"That's my girl, a definite fighter." He laughed with me before becoming serious.

"Officer, I do have to tell you this though. I do not want to see her in the emergency room under these conditions ever again." I nodded and ran my fingers through my hair.

"Well, I plan on putting her in a bubble and never leaving my side." He nodded.

"That sounds like a perfect idea, but first I think you should go see her. She's requesting you." He winked at me and started to walk away, but I called his name and stopped him.

"Did you do a rape kit on her?" I asked nervously. It was my request for the rape kit because I knew what that bastard was capable of.

"Mr. Barkley, Miss Smith has requested against your wishes. But-" I raised an eyebrow waiting to see where this was going. "Only because she ensured us it was not necessary. Now if you excuse me."

I started thanking God before running down that hall and to Riley's room. But when I got there she wasn't in her bed. I stared at the empty bed confused when I heard the most beautiful voice behind me.

"Well, someone looks happy." I turned around and saw my angel.

I quickly ran up to her and before she could say a word I picked her up and kissed her. I felt her smile against my lips as she kissed me back. I pulled away but continued to stare at her face.

"You are so beautiful you know that?" She rolled her eyes as I carried her to her bed.

"Have you seen this face, Dylan. I looked like I went a couple of rounds with a brick wall." I laughed as I pulled a chair up to her bed and sat down. I grabbed her hand and looked her in the eyes.

"You, Riley Smith, can actually go a couple of rounds with a brick wall and I will still love you."

"What if I weigh six hundred pounds and go bald will you love me then?" She asked with humor in her voice, but there was none in mine as I answered.

"You can weight seven hundred pounds, go bald, lose a limb, and all your teeth and I will still love you." She leaned in and kissed me before pulling back and smiling.

"I love you too, and I am so sorry for causing you all of this Dylan." She said sadly.

"What are you talking about Riley, none of this is your fault. I'm just happy that you are okay. Riley if I lost you I would seriously lose it." She ran her fingers through my hair with her free hand.

"You would survive. I mean you have all your brothers, your mother, Duke, and . . . Oh my God!" She suddenly shrieked.

"What?" I asked concerned thinking she was in pain.