Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

Dylan's POV

"Dylan, Riley's mom is dead." The words rang in my ears a million times, but it was like my mind couldn't comprehend what was being said.

"Dylan are you still there?" I shook my head and tried to concentrate on the situation at hand.

"Y-yeah. Duke are you sure?" I heard him sigh over the phone.

"Unfortunately, the cornier came in and verified it himself. I'm sorry, man." I took a deep breath and blew it out.

"Will you go down and check it out for me. I have something I have to do down here." 

"Yeah, of course, and good luck." He said before we both disconnected from our phones. I put mine in my pocket and ran a hand through my hair.

"Dylan?" Riley's croaked voice called.

I closed my eyes and tried to relax my body but all I could think was how was I going to explain this to her?

I turned around and walked over to the bed and grabbed Riley's hand.

"Riley, we have to talk about something." She raised her eyebrow at me and slightly cocked her head.

"What's wrong? Are you breaking up with me?" I smiled.

"No, never, but something has happened, something big." I watched as her eyes widened with fear.

"What are you okay? Are you hurt?" I shook my head.

"No baby, not me." She leaned up on the bed despite the obvious pain in her ribs that she was having.

"Is it Dean, Derek, your mom? Who's hurt Dylan?" I grabbed her hand that was shaking.

"Riley, it's your mom." I watched as she stilled from what seemed to be shock.

"What happened, Dylan?" She said under her shaky breath.

"Sh-she died baby." She paled worse than ever before.

"W-what?" Was all she said.

"I'm sorry Riley." I waited for her to sob on my shoulder, or to scream out in anger, but none of that happened.

"How?"

"Maybe we should wait-"

"How?" She asked again cutting me off.

"She was murdered." I watched as she closed her eyes. Nothing, not a sound came from her body, and then suddenly she fell backwards on her pillows, her heart monitors were going off like crazy.

Before I could touch her or call her name a nurse was escorting me out of the room. J.D who was just coming down the hall ran up to me and grabbed me.

"What the hell is going on in there?" I looked at him and their was concern written all over his face.

"Don't you fucking grab me!" I yelled and pushed his hand away. "If you were doing your job then none of this would be happening!"

"What are you talking about?" He yelled back.

"Riley's mom is dead! And now something happened to Riley, and none of these damn people will let me back in!" I yelled pointing to the closed door.

"Wait a second, you told her?" He asked shocked.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I?"

"Riley, just woke up from her own coma, she has a punctured lung, and then you tell her this shit? She's probably worked up and can't breathe! Nice going dumbass!" I looked at the door and then back to J.D.