Flashback Pt. 1

Miami, Florida
Some Years Earlier...

It's now been a few months since Farah was kicked out, and as bad as it sounds, her family was expecting her to come back begging by now. They wanted her to so badly.

Fatinah talked about the incident with her friends daily. She would brag that she was the favored sister but no one really liked that. They all thought that she was delusional and jealous. Anybody could see right through her act.

Carolyn sat around everyday since the incident gossiping with her "friends."  She spoke so highly of her oldest daughter and talked down on her youngest. She spoke about how Fatinah would go out and do amazing things like go to Harvard, get married and maybe even have kids. When they asked about Farah, Carolyn would tell them that she wasn't sure. She said Farah was a lost cause and she wouldn't amount to anything. They never understood her, though. They deemed her as an unfit mother.

When it came down to Morris, he wasn't the same since that night. He didn't smile like he used to. He didn't go out to the family dinners with his wife and oldest child. He figured that since his baby girl wasn't there anymore it was no use. The night they put her out was eating him up daily. The words he said to his daughter haunted him every night resulting in him not getting much sleep. He dreamt of the look on her face when HE called her out of her name. She looked so heartbroken and disappointed. He could see how hurt she was just by looking into her eyes that night. And he knew he messed up.

The now family of three would ride around some nights. They were expecting to pass by Farah on the side of the road somewhere or in someone's alleyway. Of course Fatinah and Carolyn wanted to laugh in her face. Morris just wanted to bring her home.

______________________________

Farah was out one night with Treyton and Cicely. Since she was welcomed into their home, she had been doing whatever she could to show her appreciation.

Cicely told her that she could stay as long as she continued to focus on school and not get pregnant. Of course Farah didn't take that the wrong way. She saw the young girls her she struggling alone. She always felt that she wanted to help them in a way, and she didn't ever want to be put in that position so early on. But, she did get a job at Footlocker alongside Treyton. They figured since they were getting older they could start helping with the bills. They wanted to learn early on.

Cicely, of course, would just put the money away and sneak it back to them once they were out of the house. She admired their maturity, and that made her work harder to always protect them. Especially the noticeably broken teenage girl she now saw as her own.

The trio were seated at a somewhat fancy restaurant. They were out celebrating Cicely's promotion, and it was Farah's treat for the night.

"I know I said it before, but thank you, baby girl."

"Of course! You've done a lot for me. I can actually say I grew a lot of love for you these past few months."

"Aww! I love you too, munchkin."

Treyton bust out laughing. "Munchkin" was officially Farah's new nickname because she was so little. She stood about 5'0 with a petite physique. Cicely thought that maybe the child wasn't eating as much as she should've been. But, that thought went out the window when she saw the girl downing two and a half plates of soul food.

Before Farah could whine about the cute nickname, she slightly turned her head and caught sight of her "family" staring intensely at her. Her mood changed just that fast. Her blood ran cold and her breathing slowed. Trey noticed her sudden change of mood and followed her eyes. When he saw them, he too got upset.

"Are you finished eating, grams?"

"Yes. I just need a to-go box. Why? Is something wrong?"

Before he could respond, Carolyn had already arrived at their table. She held eye with her youngest daughter even when she spoke.

"Well hello. May I ask who you are, ma'am?"

"I'm Carolyn. Farah's mother. Who are you?"

Cicely was taken aback by the rude tone. She raised her eyebrow and gave Carolyn a disapproving look.

"I'm Cicely. May I ask why you're over here?"

"I just said I'm her mother. Let's go, Farah."

"Watch yo' mouth, ma'am. And she ain't going nowhere."

"Mind your business, little boy. She ain't grown yet. Let's go, Farah."

"No. And don't talk to them like that. Leave me alone."

"You should've been home anyways. Don't act like you got it good all of a sudden. You have nothing. Let's go!"

By now they had gained a few stares. Morris and Fatinah were also at the table.

"I'm not going! You put me out so leave me alone!"

Morris went to speak up but was cut off by Carolyn putting her hand up. She pulled out her phone with a smirk, and she dialed a number before putting it on speaker.

"911 what's your emergency?"

"Yes. I'd like to report a runaway."