Chapter 18: Preparing For School

Izuku stepped through the dark mist into a familiar bar. Tomura was already there and by the time Izuku looked around Kurogiri was already behind the counter. Izuku dropped a small disk on the counter and a holographic projection appeared over it.

"I AM HERE AS A PROJECTION!" All Might's loud shout started the recording, just as annoying as ever. Izuku squeezed his hands into fists, resisting the urge to punch the projection.

"Izuku Midoriya, I have the joy to tell you, you did impressively in the written exam. As for the practical exam you scored an excellent fifty-five villain points. Only one person scored higher."

Oh, Izuku knew exactly who that was. He squeezed his hands harder.

"You would have had the second highest score, if that was all there was to the test. However! The exam was not graded only on villain points! A hero's job is to save people. That is no lip service. This is a job that requires risking one's life."

If they really did that Izuku would still have had his mother.

"Rescue points!"

The image switched to show a table of names and scores. "Izuku Midoriya, eighty-five points. Congratulations! You passed, with the highest score!" All Might extended his hand towards the camera. "Izuku Midoriya, welcome to hero academia."

Izuku didn't care about the man's gesture and went back to the scoreboard. Even on third viewing he couldn't help but smirk at seeing Bakugo on the second place. Unsurprisingly he didn't get any rescue points, despite amassing a massive seventy-seven villain points. Izuku's eyes moved to the side to find Tenya's name on the seventh spot, a clear pass. Though Izuku was a bit disappointed his friend had only earned nine rescue points.

Hitoshi hadn't been among the top ten results, but after a brief moment of fear Izuku called him and Hitoshi played his own acceptance message for Izuku to hear. It was the only reason he could tolerate hearing All Might's voice for the second time in one day.

"Congratulations," Tomura said mockingly, holding his hands up, "seems you might yet become a government dog and even have a permission to use the power you naturally have."

"Do you want to get information on All Might or not?" Izuku snapped back.

"Boys, boys," their father said, "this is a happy day. You should be celebrating, not fighting. We are all a family here."

Izuku turned to look at the computer screen where the voice usually came from only to find his father right there in front of a closing warp gate. He had his collar but not the top of his helmet. Izuku wanted to smile at seeing his father, but he had just listened to All Might and could not help but focus on his father's injuries. Thinking about sharing a class with both his friends, he sometimes almost forgot that his mission at UA was to help destroy All Might, rip One For All from the so called hero and help his father recover.

Tomura muttered something and sat by the counter, waving Kurogiri to get him a drink. The Nomu did so, but in the process also walked past Izuku and handed him a soft drink first. His father put his hand on Izuku's shoulder.

"Izuku's achievement is to be commended, even if it wasn't surprising. Placing first in the combat test wasn't a given, even to him. This only shows heroes aren't all they are made out to be."

"I might have gotten the top score because of the rescue points but I wasn't first in the battle. Bakugo... even after everything, all your training, he still was twenty-two points ahead of me."

"I am happy to see you haven't allowed your high score to make you cocky. Now, considering you have already defeated several Nomu, how could this regular middle schooler destroy more enemies than you?"