Chapter 51: Shadows of Night

It is finally spring, sunny and new chapter day. Hope you are having a good day.

This chapter is bit of a interim fluff/comfort chapter for the most part, but Izuku finally finds his true soulmate that can understand him. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Izuku had promised to make sure everyone else would get a good night's sleep. He'd never said anything about his own, so he got up and tiptoed to the window, looking at the garden behind the curtains. There was the open space they trained on the most, the remnants of Eijiro's rocky punching bag, and a spot where Hitoshi had tripped and fallen on Izuku after one of their earliest training days when Izuku trained him to the point of barely being able to walk.

If those memories alone had been his life, he could be happy.

He stepped out to the corridor, opening up his phone for the first time since Tenya returned to look at the news. It was all about what had happened at the festival. He took little comfort in that the narrative in the media seemed to be at least divided with titles from "Number Two Hero a Domestic Abuser?" and "What happened to Shoto Todoroki?" to "A Quirk Stealer Stole This Hero's Son. See Images." At least no article seemed to name where they were, though Izuku still checked the security cameras.

Then there was the case of Stain. The near death and suspected crippling of Ingenium was already in the news. Unfortunately, there wasn't anything on the killer that Izuku didn't already know about. The third and largest, most interesting news was a case of people being burnt to literal ash on a random alley.

Izuku stopped scrolling when a single sentence mentioned people hearing explosions before the fire and its victims were found. The victims had not been identified, so could Bakugo be one of them... Izuku sighed. Bakugo might have been arrogant, but it was unlikely that someone he met randomly in an alley would beat him, and there were multiple victims. Bakugo was many things, but a team player wasn't one of them, that was for sure. Seemed more like he had become a solo vigilante in the past few weeks.

Izuku was just glad he apparently hadn't decided to come after Tenya or Hitoshi. He might have been happier about that if he hadn't just replaced Bakugo's threat with Endeavour. But first... Ingenium.

Izuku snuck away and into his 'dad's' room. That was nothing but a façade in case anyone looked at Izuku's family situation. He sent a coded message and a warp gate soon appeared in front of him. He stepped through it and into the fancy apartment in the Tokyo skyscraper his dad had taken him to after his mom...

His father was sitting on a sofa, looking at a laptop with his eyeless face. How did that work anyway?

"I thought you were having a sleepover."

"They're all sleeping. I couldn't."

"And why is that?"

"Many reasons." Izuku looked away from his father and out the window. "How much do you know about Stain?"

"Ah, I wondered how you would react to the case with Ingenium. You do... understand that your own mission at the most fundamental level is about... eliminating a 'hero' for what he represents, not much different from Stain I would say."

Izuku kept looking outside.

"I hope you aren't allowing your judgement and resolve to be clouded by Ingenium's personal connection."

Izuku continued staring out of the window quietly for a long moment.

"I'll make my own judgement on him, and Stain. Just tell me what you know."