Chapter 34: Who Was He?

"Please come in," Nezu called as soon as Aizawa's still bandaged arm brushed against the door. Aizawa pushed the door open with his body, refusing to show any of the pain for simply pressing lightly against it.

As soon as he saw the group gathered at the meeting room, he also started getting a headache. Nezu and All Might weren't unexpected or concerning on their own, but All Might was in his powered form and with the detective Tsukauchi present there was something more serious going on. Considering the recency of the USJ attack and regular visits by the detective at the school since then, that still wouldn't have been too bad. That is if they hadn't also been joined by the dog-headed Chief of Police and two other pro heroes, Kamui Woods and Death Arms.

Aizawa was going to need more coffee by the time this meeting was over.

"Please tell me you are here because of a breakthrough in the USJ investigation."

"Unfortunately it is quite the opposite, and what discoveries there are, raise some questions that will interest you as well."

"Is this related to last night's battle at the villain hospital?"

"Yes. Nomu, the creature you fought at the USJ, was freed by an unknown attacker with several weaker Nomus, and the villain with a mist-like teleportation quirk helping him."

Aizawa's still healing bones suddenly ached even more.

"And that isn't the worst part. You should sit. Recovery Girl will have my tail if I hinder your recovery."

Aizawa didn't fight the suggestion. Sitting down was a great relief and despite how he presented himself to the students he wasn't about to go against the old lady. Nezu maintained control of the meeting as Aizawa sat.

"I am sorry to disrupt your respective works by asking all of you into this meeting, but there are reasons to believe we are facing a far greater threat than might be immediately obvious even from the two recent attacks. While the creature called Nomu captured at USJ has been liberated by the villain, the police and hospital staff had time to conduct experiments and especially dna tests on it. During the USJ attack the leader of the villains, called by the name of Shigaraki, referred to it as an artificial human. Based on the tests this is not the case. Rather it should be described as a former human."

Nezu paused, giving everyone present time to process the information.

"Do you mean...?" Death Arms asked.

"Yes, whatever that creature was, it used to be a human, a small-time villain to be exact." Nezu placed a photograph of the man on the table.

"That is horrendous," Kamui Woods commented, "and to think there are several more of those poor souls."

"That we know of," Nezu added, "and that is not the most disturbing thing we have discovered. Already during the USJ incident we discovered that the creature had at least two quirks in addition to its immense strength, and neither of these matched the registered quirk of the original person. Additionally, the person who freed it appears to poses at least two quirks himself, perhaps more."

"Is that even possible?" Death Arms asked.

"Yes," Aizawa responded and turned his head to look at Nezu. "Is this why you wanted me to be involved in this meeting?"

"Partially, you are also a part of this due to your own encounter with the creature."

"What are you talking about?" Death Arms asked.

"Previously you asked if it is possible for people to have more than one quirk, ones they weren't born with. It is. We already know of one quirk that allows its wielder to take quirks from others and if they so choose to also give those quirks to other people."