Chapter 41: The Fight of Shadows

Izuku followed Todoroki back to the audience stands. From the volume of cheering something had just happened. Peering over the railing, it turned out the fight was already over. Kaminari had lost and was completely wrapped in the... hair of his opponent. The long green thorn-like hairs of the girl Kaminari had fought had extended well beyond their previous length to tie and lift him up. There was also a bunch of separate hair rising from the surface of the arena like a wall, or a shield.

Izuku might have licked his lips, but his 'taste buds' were still only interested in the power they had witnessed with Todoroki's iceberg. The next fight was bound to be more interesting anyway. Izuku took his seat next to Tenya.

"How did it go?" Tenya whispered. Izuku sighed and shook his head.

"It's better than before, but he is still resistant to thinking differently. At least he admitted the risk of what happened with his quirk. He met his father like I feared," Izuku grit his teeth together. "I really want to drop that man from his pedestal."

"Be careful not to do anything stupid. Whatever he might have done behind the scenes, he is still the number two hero. Even if you had evidence he probably has just as many lawyers as your father."

Izuku brushed his chin as he watched Cementos clear and fix the arena with his quirk.

"Don't..." Tenya said.

"What?"

"You have that look in your eyes. You are plotting something."

"Is that a problem?"

"It is if you get burned."

"Hmm. Actually that could be really useful... though with people's biases not as effective as you might think."

"Izuku stop," Tenya commanded. Something in his voice reflected genuine worry, even fear, which brought Izuku out of his thoughts.

"Sorry," Izuku said. "Didn't mean to worry you."

"So you won't get yourself burned by Endeavour?"

"I'll try to avoid anything with... permanent consequences."

"Izuku..."

"Tenya, do you think I would choose to get myself seriously hurt?"

"Depends. Are you calling Todoroki a friend yet?"

"Okay everyone!" Present Mic drowned out any further attempt at conversation. "We have two more matches left for the first round. The next one is Fumikage Tokoyami from the class 1A! Facing him is Shihai Kuroiro from class B!"

Tokoyami's opponent was an interesting case. His hair was almost as white as Izuku's, but the rest of him was completely black, not like someone with African heritage black, black like Tokoyami's raven-black feathers. It would have been difficult to distinguish any features as Kuroiro's skin seemed to suck in all light that hit it, making him seem faceless, especially from a distance.

It almost seemed like someone wanted to arrange a fight between shadows for people's entertainment.

"I should go get ready for my fight," Tenya said and got up. "Don't," he emphasized, "get in a fight with Endeavour while I'm away."

"I'll try. Don't lose."

Tenya shook his head as he left. Izuku focused on the fight. He hadn't had much chance to train or fight with Tokoyami besides the major exceptions of USJ and the first day, but considering Dark Shadow's speed and strength Kuroiro wouldn't have much chance trying to fight in a direct physical brawl, so much would depend on his quirk and how he used it. Now, Izuku didn't want to make assumptions, but usually physical changes caused by a quirk had some connection to the power, and Kuroiro did not exactly seem like someone with a light producing power that would give him an advantage over Dark Shadow.