Chapter 48: Exposed

Izuku climbed a set of small movable stairs to the tallest middle platform. The audience was surprisingly quiet. There was constant background chatter but no large reactions to the winners' arrival, which was a relief with Izuku's thoughts and worries already running around faster than Tenya. He glanced at Todoroki who was having a staring contest with the ground.

"Todoroki," he said after making sure no one had microphones nearby. "Your life will change today. How much depends on you. You aren't alone if you choose to speak up."

Todoroki didn't respond, continuing his staring contest. Midnight stepped into the arena between them and the rest of the first-year students.

"Thank you for staying with us through this festival. We will now give out the first-year awards. The man to give those awards is..."

Izuku got a bad feeling about this, feeling a pressure squeeze his insides.

"AHHAHHAA," All Might's laugh echoed from above. Izuku's blood ran cold. He couldn't deal with the number one and number two at the same time. All Might jumped down from the stadium roof far above and landed with a thud.

"ALL MIGHT!"

"I AM HERE!"

"Sorry," Midnight apologised. "I spoke over you."

"No, no, I should have waited a little longer."

If there wasn't as much at stake Izuku would have scoffed or rolled his eyes at their antics.

"Now," All Might said, focusing on the trio. "Congratulations! Today I witnessed an amazing performance from all of you!"

He looked at every one of them, stopping with Izuku a little longer than the others. All he got in return was Izuku's standard hostile stare number one. Having the man around could be useful if Endeavour caused trouble, assuming he didn't side with his fellow 'hero', but Izuku wanted to vomit at the mere thought of needing the so-called hero for anything. All Might averted his gaze first so at least that was a small victory for Izuku. Instead All Might focused on Todoroki, they both did. He didn't directly face either of them even as All Might hung the medal on his neck.

"Young Todoroki, you demonstrated some great power out here today. Seems your loss was more about how your opponent matched your quirk. Perhaps you should utilise the fire of your quirk more."

That fool, that was all he got from Todoroki's fights? Todoroki barely muttered back. The tension and fear in his tone should have been obvious.

"No, that's not... I can't use that."

"It is okay, this school exists to help you master your quirk. Next year you might well become the champion. Congratulations, your father must be proud," All Might leaned to hug Todoroki who didn't move a millimetre except to squeeze his hands into fists. Izuku was surprised and a little disappointed he didn't freeze over or catch fire right there. That would have taught All Might a lesson.

Also he'd better not try hugging Izuku if he wanted to keep his arms. Unfortunately, Todoroki remained quiet as All Might backed off.

"You should stop by the Recovery Girl before going home. Seems you got a bit roughed up," All Might pointed at Todoroki's face. "Better safe than sorry."

Izuku wanted to scream at the man's face, but to the surprise of at least three people in the crowd, he managed to contain his emotions, at least for now as All Might moved past him to Honenuki.

"Masterful use of your quirk in turning the field to your advantage, but try not to depend so heavily on one or two ways of using it. In real life you often cannot simply melt everything around even during serious battles."