Chapter 35: What's Up With Todoroki?

Izuku raised up his arm to shield his face from the flames as he peered through thick smoke, only barely distinguishing a human shaped form on the floor. If it made a sound it was covered under the woosh of the fire, at least to Izuku's ears.

"Found one!" He shouted and kept pushing through the smoke, grateful for being prepared with a fireproof suit and his gas mask. It didn't have an oxygen supply, making breathing still difficult with so much oxygen in the air being consumed, but at least his lungs weren't full of irritating smoke.

Considering the coughing behind him Shoji certainly regretted not being as prepared. Izuku dragged the victim away from the flames and helped to lift him on Shoji's back with three others who were held up by Shoji's many tentacle arms, which had also split into many eyes and ears. One had formed a mouth and stayed low close to the floor where the smoke was at its thinnest.

"That should be everyone," Izuku said.

"I agree..." Shoji coughed. "I can't detect anyone else."

Izuku nodded and followed his larger classmate as they turned to get out. Izuku made sure no one fell off as Shoji navigated back to the exit. As soon as they emerged from the smoke-filled doorway Izuku drew a deep breath, amazed at how great a thing as basic as fresh air could feel.

"Time, five minutes, twelve seconds," a robotic voice announced as Izuku helped to put down the dolls in a fake medical area.

"Good job," Aizawa said, still completely wrapped in bandages, "especially cooperating to take full advantage of your respective abilities, and good preparation. Join the others and review your work. I want to hear five mistakes you made at the end of class."

The rest of the class waited nearby, watching from a large screen on the fake street close to the building set up to be on fire. That way neither they nor Aizawa needed to walk all the way to some distant observation room and back. Gave them more time for the actual training. Izuku and Shoji joined the group.

"Next, Kirishima and Todoroki."

"Oh yeaah!" Kirishima shouted and slammed his hardened fist together. Todoroki followed silently with an empty expression showing boredom at most.

"How do you think they are going to do?" Hitoshi asked as Izuku got within talking distance."

Izuku glanced at the duo, especially Todoroki.

"About ten seconds."

"What?"

"You should already know."

They looked as the two took positions in front of the building while UA robots carried the dolls representing victims back inside.

"Ready," Aizawa prepared, "go!"

Todoroki twisted his leg a bit and a stream of ice shot out until it reached the building and started spreading across the wall and in through every opening."

"5, 6, 7, 8" Izuku counted out loud as the ice approached the top of the building, "9 and 10."

He finished just as the entire building was covered and there was no more fire. The last puffs of smoke floated up from the frozen windows. Kirishima's shoulders drooped. Izuku licked his lips.

"I've done my part," Todoroki said. "Go get the dolls will you."

As Kirishima sighed and walked into the building, Izuku was practically drooling at Todoroki's quirk. He was only restrained by his annoyance at the arrogance of his two-faced classmate. It was so easy to look down on others when you were born with a godly quirk in a super-rich family.