Chapter 23: Aftermath

Izuku grimaced as Recovery Girl kissed him. That was seriously how her healing quirk worked, literally kissing injuries away while also making him even more tired than before.

"What are they teaching you this year? The second day and I already have two patients with hardly any skin left that isn't burnt, cut or bruised."

"There wasn't much our so-called teacher could do from a distant monitoring room, especially when the school does nothing to vet its students before making them battle each other."

"While I agree with questioning how some of the classes are run around here, not many who manage to enter UA hold such a negative view of it."

"I didn't come here because I like the school," Izuku said, "and everything I have seen so far hasn't exactly changed that."

"I see. Well, it seems you didn't seriously break anything but I am a little worried about the hit you took. Concussion or other hidden head trauma are still a possibility."

"Wouldn't your quirk treat that too?"

"Possibly, but it has limits. You should already feel the stamina drain. Also, the brain is quite a complex and finicky thing. Never can be too sure about injuries to the head. It is probably nothing but to be sure it would be best if you weren't alone for 24 hours. Is there someone who can stay with you overnight?"

"I live a..." Izuku started, but stopped to smile. "Yes. I think I can arrange that."

"Now if you don't get any new symptoms by this time tomorrow everything should be okay, but come to me or visit a hospital if you notice anything. You really should be more careful with quirks you have no experience of."

"Yea, well it is kind of hard to get any practice on many quirks. There aren't many people who would offer their quirk for practice. The only... one I've gotten to keep came from a villain. I can take quirks, not copy them."

"I know how your quirk works. As the nurse, I am expected to know how students' bodies work in case it impacts their medical needs. You'd be surprised how much even the simplest mutation can impact a person's treatment. I'm not so old I would mix your and Monoma's quirks."

"Monoma's?" Izuku asked.

"You haven't met him yet? I guess they put him in a different class. He's another new hero course student. Apparently, he can temporarily copy other people's quirks."

Izuku did his best to maintain a neutral expression. The quirk copier was indeed at UA. His father would be happy. Izuku briefly wondered what kind of person this Monoma was. There were some, even if few, people at UA he'd rather not take quirks from so he'd have to find a chance to test Monoma's personality.

Since Monoma wasn't in Izuku's class he had to be on the other hero class 1 B. Izuku wondered what kind of opportunities there would be to make contact with them. Did the two classes have common lessons or training?

"Well, I have done what I can right now. There's a shower so you can wash out the blood and whatever else you have gotten on yourself. Be careful. The freshly healed parts of your skin can still be sensitive. And please change clothes. I'm sure some of the girls wouldn't mind but most people would not consider that an appropriate attire."

"I will. Thank you," Izuku said, blushing a bit at the last comments and got up. He grabbed his bag with his school clothes and headed to the bathroom adjacent to the nurse's office. Taking off the hero costume, it didn't even feel like a piece of clothing anymore. He'd need to get tougher fabric for the next one.

He took a moment to check on himself in the mirror. Any injuries that would have been visible once he got properly dressed had been healed by Recovery Girl's quirk with only some red tint, dust and drying blood left on his skin. He let the regeneration quirk out of the cage he had forced it into and soon felt much better and fresher, not even as tired as he had been before. Headache and dizziness he had started developing also disappeared.