Chapter 10 - Weak point

The soft sniffles after your last words halt. Shallow breathing, adrenaline rushing, all you do is drop the weapon, or what once was. Your throat felt dry, consequences of shouting and insults never being more evident.

"Leave me alone," you say when Loki tries to go to your side.

"A walk will do good," Anna holds their hand up to stop the other group members.

"Not alone, I don't trust Y/n to go off unsupervised," Stephen crosses his arms, looking to the gods once Loki had helped his brother up.

"No. You'll only make it worse," Loki takes out a dagger.

"Loki," Anna warns. "Keeping a distance is advised,"

"And if you hurt-"

"I won't," Strange rolls his eyes.

"But if you do- if I see a single tear, you'll wake up tomorrow without eyes to cry out of," Loki snarls in a stern manner only to be smacked by Anna. "Sorry,"

~~~

Leaves crunch under your leather boots. The very steps of noises which cloud your mind causing strikes of memories to flurry in. Every. Single. One.

Just you being pushed aside like nothing.

Like a non-existent character in a movie adaptation. One they forgot along the way.

The weak point. The basic. The dull.

Heat peers through the shaking leaves of trees towering above. A single stone meeting your foot to dance along the undefined path towards anything but human interaction.

There was a whistle of wind causing you to raise a knife to a floating piece of fabric. "Wizard,"

"Technically I'm here, he does his own thing," Stephen gestures as you wipe the remainder tears.

"I told everyone to leave me alone,"

"Yeah, but I don't really listen," he nods to the cloak who slowly takes your hand which you flinch away from. "Not a hugger, are you?"

"Hugs make it easier for people to stab you in the back," you cross your arms as he hums unconvinced with a shrug.

"Actually a knife makes it easier-"

"What do you want?" The slight amusement was immediately pushed down.

"To make sure a threat to this planet isn't alone," he kept his distance, the cloak not so much.

"At least you see my potential," trailing off, you find a fallen tree, kicking it before slumping down. "Do you know how frustrating it is to grow up with brothers always favored over you and the only way to get noticed and cared for is by causing mayhem?"

"Nope, can't say I do," Stephen holds both hand behind his back, looking down at you. "Mind telling me?"

"You're a doctor, right? Neurosurgeon, I read your file, I... borrowed it from Stark's lab," you quickly blurt out the last part.

"Don't worry, I'm glad you 'borrowed' it, hopefully you'll 'accidentally' lose it," Stephen sees a smile tug at your face, seeing it as an opportunity to sit down beside you.

Moving away instantly, you mutter a soft sorry which he hardly caught. "Here," you hand the file over after conjuring it. "But... yeah, I doubt you have a license in psychological analysis, so don't try and play therapist with me,"

"I won't 'play' therapist, that's not my job, my job is to make sure you're not going to take over the world," he jokes. "But take it from the perspective of an older brother, losing a little sister would seem like the end of the world for anyone,"

"So what do I do? Talk?"

Stephen shrugs. "Maybe that's all you need to do,"

"This doesn't mean I like you, Wizard," you mutter under your breath with a small laugh.

"Wouldn't count on it, your highness," he hums sarcastically. "But, I hope you're more inclined to not kill me after this,"

"Test me enough and find out," you shoot back, enjoying the small laugh he gives.

"Coming?" He gestures to the now shy cloak who holds a bit of fabric out for you to take.

"I'll stay out here for a while," you give the bit of outer-wear a small rub of assurance. "Thanks, buddy,"

"Don't be too late, they may worry," Stephen offers a smile before turning.

As you watch him walk away, he was halted by your voice, "Stephen?" you see him only turn his head, "what was her name?... your sister?"

"What?"

"No one talks like that without experience," you mutters softly. "You don't have to-"

"Donna," he says simply. "Two years younger,"

"Thank you for being comfortable enough to tell me, I'm guessing it's not something you talk about often?"

He shakes his head which you nod at. So, with that he was gone, fists clenched but a sigh of relief left his lips. With both hands now clung to another, thumbs fidgeting, Cloaky was able to catch a small tear.

"Stephen!" Donna yells with a laugh.

"Donna! Be careful!" Stephen says in boredom, waving absently at his little sister in the pool. With crowds bustling that summer afternoon, heat not too much and winds not too cold, he fiddles in his bag for his book until the cries of laughter from her turns to ones of fear.

"Stephen! Help! St-" water rushes over her body. He saw it all. Gasps for air then her disappearing hand, the book hit the ground as he dove in, each stroke moving closer to where she slowly sunk.

His arms take a hold, dragging her to the surface as the public soon realized this was not laughing matter. Panic. Regret. Guilt. She felt cold and lifeless as no one rushes to help. No one could help.

He couldn't help.

~~~

Marvel not showing Stephen's backstory concerning Donna is my villain origin story- but also I'm thankful cuz I would have cried too much

Hopefully Doctor Strange: Multiverse of madness will show it-

- Anna ❤️