Chapter 32 - Just ask

Stephen's neck cranes to the side, groan lingering in the air as he took into account. He knew encouraging any slight feeling towards you was a bad move. In fact anything was a bad move beyond what the task required.

"Oh, god," his hands ruffle up the sides of his hair, silver streaks twisting through charcoal black strands. Frustration could be heard from the small moments of noise. Contrasting silence and the eventual leaving of people in the floor below, he could only hear the thump of his heart.

The suit lapels lining down, unbuttoned collar and fitted pants, you looked stunning, despite the hardly differing clothing choice, the in-character play was undoubtedly fun.

From that moment on, despite the less pristine, less formal presentation, he started to increase his watch on you. His 'personal profile' on you, if you will.

Within this state, you seemed more bubbly, drowsy no less but still bubbly. A polite sorry after almost every movement. A half-up smile, a genuine one at that, on your lips.

Both arms around him, he could only remember the feeling of it slightly. Your eyes drooping a little as your head faced up to him from his chest. From that was his hoodie, that grey logo-printed fabric, sleeves hanging over their initial targeted ends.

Outside with the team, though drunk, you were less affectionate then behind closed doors. Hugging onto him like you had never been hugged before.

Leaning back against pillows, cool duvet tucked over, his eyes slowly shut... sleep taking over moment by moment... dreams fading in-

The click of his door opening triggered the fight or flight reaction, hand moving to the sling ring on his bedside table. While he was faced away from the door, he starts to go through who it could be.

"Doc," you whisper.

Well, that wasn't even one of the options he thought possible.

"Stephen...?"

"What are you doing up?" He turns to face you, propping himself up.

"I couldn't sleep... can I stay here with you?" You stood at the doorway, hall lights dimmed behind your silhouette. One hand scratches the other arm awkwardly, waiting for a response.

"Your brother would literally stab me to death," Strange slumps back against the pillows, combing through his hair.

"Please? I'll get Anna to deal with it..."

He glances over you once then twice, trying to weigh out all outcomes. "Fine, come here,"

"Thank you," you whisper softly, pattering your steps towards his bed and climbing in.

Only then did Stephen realise his slight predicament concerning his pyjamas... or lack of. "I'll go put on a shirt-"

"We're both adults... it's okay," you snuggle into the pillow with your eyes barely open.

He hums in understanding, but his mind had one concern left. "Did you have a nightmare?"

Your head shakes, fingers playing with the sleeves, focus on the small scrunched blanket. "Uhm... I just-" in this half-vivid state of mind, despite the world slowing like a broken engine, you knew what you were saying.

You knew what to say, but how much was a different problem. Saying too much would ruin it all, saying too little would lead to more questions.

"It's nice when you're around... I feel safe," decidedly, you left it at that. "Goodnight,"

His short breath of understanding sounded slightly amused, almost relieved. "Goodnight, princess,"

Facing away with a slight frown, you were lacking in what you had hoped for. Staring at the door with a plan brewing, it seemed the spark of brilliance was thrown out when an arm wraps over your waist.

While you kept restless, hands fidgeting around with your body moving closer to his, it wasn't hard to guess any longer. "You could have just asked,"

"I don't know what you're talking about,"

"Mhm," he flushed you against his chest, small vibrations emitting from his quiet laugh. "Just ask so I don't have try and deduce it like Sherlock,"

"Sorry," you mumble, facing him with a small turn.

"Don't be sorry, just go to sleep, hm?" His heart steadied best it could from the trickle of your breath along his skin. The cool finger tips reaching over the grey sleeve, all rest lightly on his chest as your head nuzzles into the crook of his neck.

Stephen decided these notions you made were nothing but the alcohol talking. Despite the slurring of your words and stumbles in your step being replaced by shy approaches and constant yawns, he didn't realise the severity of metabolism in Jotun bodies.

Asgardian liquor would do a number on humans at this concentration, Asgardians differing regarding previous run ins with the substance.

But Jotuns? Well, they clear up quicker than any other species.

So while Thor was likely drunker than the palace's inhabitants combined during Yule, you and Loki were likely nearing sobriety.

With your head clear, your heart wasn't so easy.

Of course, a sudden wave of panic had set through you; perhaps from the sudden quiet or lack of company. You could have dealt with it yourself, you could have managed alone.

No, your feet started to take their course to Stephen's room, your fist curling over the handle after two quiet knocks.

Maybe he hadn't heard you, that would explain the lack of reply, but hopefully he didn't mind.

All you didn't want to be was... alone.

After such a day, finding comfort in Strange of all people gave you a new option. Another person you didn't feel the need to be in high alert around.

Sure, months in the tower toned down your suspicion around the team but after nearly stabbing Pietro five times, punching Clint in the nose twice and choking Cap with your magic by accident, it was evident not just anyone could break down that paranoia.

Of course your first choice was to warm up to it more. This? Well, this was evidence enough, wasn't it?

Allowing someone this close to you, especially at night, it was like a foreign planet.

For both you and Strange, ruining this, whatever it was, was not an option.

Don't fuck it up.

~~~

Okay I'll post ONE more chapter after this- I promise I'll then go to bed 🧍

- Anna ❤️