Chapter 24 - Bubble trick

The slight skip in your step was noticeable to anyone who wasn't oblivious. Small fidgeting of your hands against your clothing, the fresh breeze feeling like a wave of joy. Nothing could ruin-

You stop. Once outside you had fully changed into a simple outfit, the armour would seem a bit too much for the NYC streets. That wasn't the problem though. No, there was a soft sniffle from the right.

Flushed against the wall was a student. One of the sorcerers. They were in the crook between the bush and stair wall. Head tilted down and into the crook between their knees, you felt a memory flash by.

"Oh, my sweet Y/n, what's happened now?" Your mother had caught you in the small space you had rightfully claimed as your 'go-to' spot for any moments of sadness.

"I'm sorry, mother," you wipe your tears away rapidly, dusting the dirt from your dress.

"No, no, don't ever be sorry for tears. What's wrong, my child?" She held your face in her hand, the soft golden curls shining from the glimmering day light. It was like a halo around her crown: she was your saviour, an angel.

"I'm so sorry, mother," you leap into her arms, hugging her tight. "I failed the test. I failed and I won't ever be good enough for the throne. I won't ever be like you,"

"Y/n, Y/n," Frigga gave a laugh of shock. "Test? You mean your Alfheim history test?" She sees you nod making her hearty laugh ring out. "Oh, I'll let you in on a secret: I skipped that test! Never did it once,"

"What?" You rub your hazy eyes.

"Not that I say to skip a test, but one failed test, which I highly doubt you actually did, will not affect your future all too much," she takes out her silk handkerchief, dabbing the fabric against your warm cheeks. "It will not affect your worth. The career you may choose. The husband you choose- or wife," she notes at the end with a wink, "or whomever you choose to love!" she lifts you into her lap. "And don't you ever wish to be anyone but yourself. You are Y/n. You are my child. You are worth a fortune and more. You will never disappoint me, and I will always be proud of you,"

"Thank you, mother," hugging her until the sadness subsided, you see a bubble pass your peripheral.

"Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble," Frigga whispers playfully in your ear making you laugh aloud.

"It's double double! Not bubble!" You pop the iridescent globe that floats to your nose.

"You're right, aren't you? Double double..."

"Toil and trouble," you carry on, "fire burn and cauldron bubble!"

Reality came back to you soon as you look down at the student, tip toeing down the steps and turning the corner. "And what is it you think you're doing?"

They snap their head up, wiping tears quickly and slumping back nonchalantly. "I'm waiting for my bus, it's here in like... 20 minutes so I wanted to hang here,"

"Mhm, Loki would be appalled by that lie," you note the cold weather, and while your Jotun heritage provided comfort, you could see the student shiver a little. "Alright. Did you not listen to my words earlier?" You take off your coat and lay it on their shoulders.

"I just... I did, but you can't help but, ya know, cry... about it," tears well up again making your heart break.

"Now, now, enough of that," you wipe their tears with a silk handkerchief. "I'm sure you're overthinking,"

"I'm not! I wrote the wrong thing-"

"How do you know?" You inquire.

"My friends said they got a different answer," they burst into more tears.

"And how do they know they're right? Sure the crowd may agree with one option but it doesn't mean it's the right one," you lean against the stone by their side, "a tree may hold rotten fruit but it doesn't mean all it's blooms have rot,"

"So I was right?"

"Maybe, maybe not. What isn't a maybe is your ability to change your answer now so why ponder it for any longer?" You wrap an arm around them until they were calmed down. "Come on, now, let's cheer you up, hm?"

"I don't think-" they stop their sentence when you pull back and show bubbles forming in your hand and floating to them. "Woah... wait I thought we aren't allowed to use-"

"Stephen didn't listen either," you wink, "my mother always did this to cheer me up, first time was when I was in a situation quite like yours," taking their hands in yours, you look them straight on. "You are a brilliant sorcerer. Always have been and always will be. But do not let that get to your head nor slip your mind, got it?"

"Got it," they whisper, hugging you again and looking at the time. "Uhm, I have to go... but thank you, this was nice."

"Don't mention it- seriously don't, I'm not known to be nice," you joke before standing them up and fixing their robes. "Now off you go, and remember what I said... and keep this, okay? Can't let you freeze,"

"Thank you so much," they give a small wave while rushing off. Without a care, you walk back around the corner, watching them run out the gates.

"There goes my jacket," you drop your head with a shake, smiling nonetheless.

"That was nice,"

You feel a weight on your shoulders, looking back to see Stephen placing his coat over you; he had changed too. "I don't know what you're talking about,"

"Mhm, well, hopefully they can soon learn that bubble trick too,"

"Where's Peter?" The subject was flipped.

"Right here!" He rushes out the school, "sorry, I'm all ready now,"

~~~

Material girl 💅

Material girl 💅

- Anna ❤️