Chapter 18 - A mess

"Icing sugar is very messy so-" a large cloud of sugar rose up in the air and soon you both here coated in it, "be careful..."

"And to think we were going well with the clean streak," he looks around at the clutter.

"So close," you says sarcastically while wringing a cloth. Wiping his face, you watch him blink and reveal a now slightly more grey toned pair of iris'.

You always wondered about his eyes. The way they would shift in colour from the lighting, but never lacking that small glint, pupils blown a little wider than others every time you made contact with them.

There was nothing but a soft song lingering in the air while you rid the powder from his cheeks and forehead. "There... we can restart the streak now,"

Stephen's breath had become heavier, almost completely held back at the proximity. His hands hesitated to make a decision: keep them down or make some sort of contact with you.

"I think it's a little too late for that," he admits, folding the cloth after taking it from you. "Here," Stephen was scared you'd move away, like a terrified stray too often betrayed. A look of relief plasters his face when you let him wipe to sugar from your nose and cheek.

It was the first time you've ever let this happen. From how close he was, to his hand actually holding your face, you could feel your heart beating faster and faster. For once you almost felt safe, like you knew he wouldn't want to hurt you.

He wipes down the bridge of your nose before poking it. "What was that?" You ask with your eyes kept on the tip.

"A nose poke?"

"A boop," Wong walks by with a monotonous tone, subtly filming it for Anna.

"I hate it," you scoff before looking back up at him, "boop," you do it to him in retaliation.

"Even?"

"Even," the icing was made soon and you decided to colour it red, another blue and the main layer a simple white. "Did you want to decorate?"

"My hands aren't that steady," for some reason or another, he held his hands out to you.

"I'm sure it would mean more to Peter to know that you cared enough to try," you put yours in his and gave them a small squeeze. They kept there for a moment longer until you cough awkwardly to remove them. "You humans are always more sentimental,"

"How about you write and I do piping on the side, hm?" He invites you to hold the tri-coloured piping bag.

"Deal,"

~~~

"That looks terrible," you purse your lips. "It looked better in my head,"

"Optimism, your highness," Stephen closes the cake box. "And if it's worth anything, I think I did pretty well for my first time,"

"I think you need practice,"

One by one you both started to clean the kitchen up. "So where did you learn to bake?"

"I was never really allowed to fight, that was for my brothers... while I would still secretly learn during the night, I spent the day being what a princess should be," laying a tea towel over your shoulder, you kneel down and start to pick up fallen mess. "A good wife,"

"That's stupid,"

Your eyes dart up to him, body standing to a fixed posture. "You think so?"

"Yes," he starts to dry the bowls before handing them to you. "Gender roles are stupid and a misogynistic outlook on life because a man was scared a woman was able to do something better than he ever could,"

From his words you weren't sure if you want to hug him... or- no, no, you didn't want to do whatever that flash of a thought was. "Thank you, no one has really ever said that except my mother,"

"So you learned to bake because Asgard doesn't want a woman in charge-"

"Nope," you sigh at his confusion. "Odin just didn't want me to be in charge. We have an army of female warriors called the Valkyrie,"

"Then why couldn't you-?"

"Because Odin didn't want to make the same mistake with me as he did with my eldest sister," the knife slips into its place, the metal glinting as it disappears into the wooden slot. "To him I'm a weak link he wishes to make weaker. To right his wrongs and by doing so just erasing the wrong-" you catch the sudden choked up feeling.

Stephen wipes his hands to rid it of soap suds. "Maybe he was just sure you'd overpower him easily," he suggests, taking your hand from the weapon. "You're not a weak link, Y/n. If you were then you wouldn't be on my list," he winks, taking the towel off you.

"How high am I on the list exactly?" You tilt your head to change the subject, craning your neck around to meet his eye. "Come on, please!"

"Why should I?"

"I need to know I beat my brother!" Blocking the sink from his access, he simple stands in front of you, reaching under your arms and washing the dirty spatula from that point. "Rude,"

"Very," he taunts, looking at you smugly while your arms fall limp over his.

"Why can't you tell me??"

"Because then it would be giving you what you want," he reasons, palms now resting against the counter top instead to trap you.

"I always get what I want,"

"Exactly," he emphasises, placing the cloth over your face.

A smile tugs on your features under the fabric, eye peaking under to watch him walk to the cabinet to place the last of the leftover ingredients away. "I hate you,"

"I would expect no less, princess," he shoots back which was the exact response for your heart to palpitate from.

~~~

Just a reminder that Ben skates therefore I headcanon that Strange secretly skates :)

- Anna ❤️