Chapter 33 - Agreement

Mornings, even for royalty, are never pretty. Unless you're in a rom-com or Disney movie, you're going to wake as any other would.

Hair a mess, post-wake eyes, depending on who you are you could be lucky to not have drooled through the night. While you would usually bury your head deeper into the pillow at the first ray of sun, instead it was blocked away by Stephen who had tightened his hold on you.

Your eyes wide at the realisation that he would wake up. Wake up and see you.

Wriggling away with the hood now over your head, you look from him to his bathroom then the door. Two tiny steps to the exit were taken until your plan was blown.

"Where are you going?" His eyes were still shut but it wasn't as if he was sleep talking.

"Uhm, bathroom..." you couldn't help but admire the adorable act of him peaking one eye open.

"Just use mine, I don't-"

"And I need to get ready for the day," you try and move close to the door.

"At... 6 in the morning?" He yawns, scratching his head. "Don't try and lie to me, Y/n,"

Lowering your head bashfully, you scratch your neck while trying to put your thoughts best into words. "My teacher, for manners, always says that one should always look prim and proper even at the moment of waking conscious," you quote her every word.

"That's stupid, you're not a damn Disney princess," he sits up, "do I look like I'm ready for the red carpet?"

"Yes but you're- I mean- it's obligated- I am a-"

"Shut up, no one cares about what you look like when you wake up," he slumps back into bed. "Hell, you've seen Barton after he wakes up,"

"Are you sure? Isn't it off putting to wake up and see... this?" You gesture to yourself with a nervous chuckle.

"You look perfect... -ly fine!" He blurts out, clearing his throat soon. "If you want to, go ahead, but know that I don't care, let alone anyone else,"

You watch him roll away to resume sleep by the looks of it. Taking silent steps over, you climb into the bed and wrap your arms around him from behind. "Thank you, no ones really ever told me that,"

"No one should have ever told you different," he chuckles, turning around.

"And thank you... for letting me sleep here, and calming me down last night,"

"Don't mention it," he eventually closes his eyes, opening them again when you poke his nose.

"I need to ask about this arrangement,"

"There's an arrangement?"

"I would like there to be one, if that's of convenience," you clear up. "In exchange for, quote on quote, 'comfort', which will be situations such as last night and this... I promise to... do whatever it is you wish as to excel my rehabilitation,"

"So, I give you a hug and you don't burn down the tower?"

"Essentially," you avoid his eyes. "I want nothing more, ask of nothing more. Around you I simply feel..."

"Comfortable?"

"Safe," the correction left him slightly shocked, "I don't often feel... safe, nor trust someone as easy as I have with you, which is why I'd rather settle an agreement,"

Stephen felt a weight both lift off his shoulders but weigh down his chest. You trusted him. You. It was such an odd concept to process.

"But if you break it, or tell anyone of it, I will not hesitate to stab you,"

"There's the threat I was waiting for," he laughs, "then, I agree to your terms as long as I get to add my own,"

"What? No, I only made one term, in exchange I don't cause anyone harm,"

"Ah, but you also said don't tell anyone, isn't that right, princess?" He wasn't wrong, and he knew you couldn't disagree. "So, I want you to help me out with whatever task is required regarding the Sanctum,"

"Fine... but I'm not cleaning any bathrooms," you hold your pinky up.

"Deal," he links it. "Now what?"

"Now, we go for breakfast because we're apparently both wide awake,"

"Go on without me," he shoos you away. "The sleep monster has taken a hold of me,"

"Come on, Doc, I'm hungry," you whine a little, "and I'm not going alone because no one else is awake,"

"There's a reason for that, it's only 6:40," he pulls the sheets over his head.

"Please?" You whisper as sweetly as possible making his heart melt into a puddle.

"Fine... we can even go out for breakfast in the cafe down the street, it opens at 7,"

"Can I have chocolate chip pancakes?" Perking your head under the sheets, the nod he gave was enough to send you into full blown excitement. "Okay! I'll be ready soon!"

~~~

The mornings were decreasing in temperature, ice practically creeping up car windshields from late night rain. When the Tower doors shut behind you both, day break hardly at its prime, you have a sharp intake of cool air.

Your throat started to turn blue as well as the apples of your cheeks. Pulling over the hood of Stephen's lended hoodie, you kept your head down.

Stephen saw this immediately, not wanting to pry but he could also tell whatever was happening was bothering you.

"Y/n? What's wrong?"

~~~

Alright time to rise and grind- I'll post one more chapter before I sleep- I promise this time-

- Anna ❤️