Chapter 20 - Surprise party

"Mr Stark! I think Friday sent me on a-"

"SURPRISE!" Everyone jumps up, immediately being targeted by a mass of webs.

A few were able to dodge or prevent being hit; Stephen held up a shield to stop it from getting you both. "Thanks," lowering your arms while practically joined by the hip to him, you watch Peter rush over and take majority of the webs off everyone.

"What-... uhm, what are you all doing?" He looks around with wide eyes. "You didn't forget?"

"Forget? Tony has been planning for weeks, Queens," Steve nudges Stark who rolls his eyes.

"Yeah, no big-" Tony was cut off by the big hug given, "deal..."

"Thank you so much, Mr Stark, this is perfect!"

"Like I said, no big deal," he replies, hugging Peter back with a hidden sigh of relief.

~~~

The moment guests started to interact, the party going into full swing, you felt your body start to panic. Music kept the same volume but it felt like it was getting louder by the second, and while the sun set, the lights started to grow brighter. Multi-coloured streamers and decor felt like they made your head spin while laughs pounded against your ears.

In a room of mostly strangers, you felt lost. You felt alone as always. So you take a small plate of snacks, a sugary drink and walk down the hall to your room.

Loki, Anna, Wanda and Strange were they very few to notice; while Loki was about to go after you, Anna by his side for back up, Strange had beat him to it.

The sorcerer took another drink just like yours, an excuse as back up for his presence. Knocking once then twice, he opened the door to see you by the window. Seated on the bench, you look in the reflection of the glass to see him standing there with a drink in hand.

"Need a refill?" He holds it up before putting it on your desk.

"They'll miss you back at the party,"

"Eh, I don't think so. Thor is doing an excellent job at keeping everyone entertained," he looks back down the hall to see Thor boasting stories.

"Still, don't waste your time here, I'm not going back,"

"Didn't come here to get you back out there," he closes the door and takes cautious steps towards you.

"Then why are you here?"

"I got bored," he lies through his teeth which you catch instantly and he knew you did. "Fine... I just wanted to make sure you were okay. You looked like you were panicking before you ran back here,"

"I'm not a party person,"

He leans on the wall by your side and looks out the window, "from the sounds of it, Asgard is a very party-heavy kingdom,"

"They will find an excuse for one at any given moment,"

"So what did the reserved princess do during these parties?" Finally taking a seat once he saw you weren't against it, Stephen put his focus on you.

You saw his attention and sigh, "I suffered through it..."

"No socialising? Gossiping with friends? Dancing?"

You shook your head making his smile fall. "My only friend was Anna but she was stuck in the kitchens for the majority of the night,"

"No one ask for a dance?"

"Ha!" You give a sour pity laugh, "I was the last person anyone would have wanted to ask... my brothers wouldn't allow it, Odin was always on watch, and at the end of the day it's me,"

"Exactly. Because it's you I'd assume everyone would want to,"

"Why?"

"A beautiful princess with her head always buried in a book or learning new fighting techniques to prove she's better than any stupid prince, what more could one want?" He reasons, but you miss the flirty tone he had.

Laughing lightly, hiding it behind your hand in a slightly tint of embarrassment, you shake your head in response.

"Come on," he holds his hand out.

"I don't dance," you decline with a slight fluster at his stance. He had stood and leaned down in such a formal manner, it was almost a caricature of Prince Charming.

"Don't or haven't had the chance to?"

"Both,"

"One dance and you can choose whether or not you want to ban it when you become queen,"

Queen. That made your knees weak. Like unset jelly. You stayed seated, though, keeping your eyes on his hand with a contemplating look.

Stephen kept it there until you answered. You never did, so all he said was, "we don't have to now, but the offer still stands for any other time,"

"When else would one dance?" You move your focus back to the view.

"Anytime," he says simply. "People dance on the street all the time without a care in the world, or just in their rooms when bored,"

"That's stupid," you grew sour all of the sudden.

"Sure, maybe it is, but at least they smile,"

"I smile!" You counter, glaring his way.

"Mhm, well, when I see it, I'll believe it, your majesty," Stephen created a portal which illuminated the room with an orange glow momentarily. On the floor by the plate of food, he placed the drink down. "Feel free to join the party whenever you want,"

You stay silent, curling up a little more. The sorcerer drops his focus to the floor, giving a small huff to show there was nothing more to say.

Nothing more he could say.

"In case I don't catch you later, have goodnight," he leaves with that soft note. Door shut and darkness enveloping you again, the long breath from you sounded like a speaker over those blasting in the main room.

"Stop it," you catch your reflection. "He doesn't trust you, that's why he checked on you. That dance was just to get you vulnerable, idiot," insults and excuses spew towards yourself until a wave of tiredness took over.

Don't revert to weakness.

~~~

:)

- Anna ❤️