Chapter 14 - Love isn't real

Anna looks to Loki's murderous glare. "Don't start," they whisper, taking his hand.

"I don't like it,"

"You don't like anything, Loki," they hand him a mug of tea and rub his back to soothe any tense muscles. "He's a doctor, he's just helping,"

"Yes, but so is Banner,"

"Different type of doctor," they chime, walking away to place the tea made for you on the glass table top. "All better?"

"Mhm," you say absently, watching Strange talk with Steve about Norns knows what.

"May I marry your brother?"

"Yes, not a problem,"

Anna smirks before taking out a small list, "may I borrow any clothing of yours whenever I wish? May I have every last slice of pizza no matter what? May I get a raise? May I take a month long vacation to Alfheim with your brother which you will pay fully for? May I choose any one dagger from your collection to keep?"

"Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes," you dismiss, sipping at the drink as Anna turns to Loki with a grin.

"We are going to Alfheim for a month!"

"As much as I adore your success in coaxing my sister into agreeing with everything, you know I can pay for it myself, right?" Loki walks over and snaps his fingers twice in your face. "Reality is not a thing you should escape in your pathetic day dreams, Y/n, focus,"

"Blah blah blah," you mock, looking up at the two of them. "What are you talking about?"

"Loki and I are going on vacation which you so humbly agreed on paying for,"

"My brother has enough gold seeping out his pockets to buy you two towns on Vanaheim,"

"So you're all rich rich?" Sam looks between the three siblings, "let me borrow twenty dollars," he holds his hand out to Thor.

"Go crazy," you toss him a gold coin.

"Oh hell yeah!" Sam scrambles away, most likely going to the nearest convenience store to buy a bucket load of goods.

"I'd buy you all nine realms if you wished, my dove," Loki hugs Anna from behind which cause you to grimace and the team to tilt their heads. "Oh would you all stop gawking as if I'm incapable of love?!"

"I actually thought you were," Clint scoffs.

"Yes, if anything, Y/n is the one incapable of that," Thor had moved to your side, clapping a hand on your back before wincing slightly. His eye twitches and smile tried to be kept strong as you sheath the dagger into his side. "Thank you,"

"You're welcome," standing and scowling at the group, you were quick to clear things up. "I'm not incapable, I just think love is stupid. It's for children and dogs,"

"Right..." Anna hums, watching you stalk off. "Dramatic, obviously Y/n has been in love before,"

"Pardon?!" Loki yells.

"What?!" Thor follows.

Anna sighs, gesturing them lower to their height before tugging at their ears roughly, "if either of you mess with Y/n's very scarce and delicate love life I will not only call your mother but I will also be taking away Mjolnir and your helmet," you look from Thor to Loki.

"Sorry, darling," Loki drops his head.

"Forgive me, Future sister-in-law," Thor mutters.

"I'm terrified of the power you hold," Bucky looks to Anna who grins.

There was something about the way you spoke. Every word regarding such affection so the first few to follow were eager to find out. Only Peter stood to Anna who nods, the child rushing down the hall to comfort you.

Wanda and Natasha glance to one another, seeing it fit to let Peter comfort you before looking to cheer you up.

"Miss Laufeydottir?" Peter knocks in a small tune. "Uhm... Y/n?"

A click followed by the soft creaking of the door saw your eyes just peaking around. "Yes?"

"Did you want to hang out?"

There was a slight reluctance but soon you let him in. "What is it you really want, child?"

Caught red handed. "Make sure you're okay? You seemed a little angry about the whole 'Love' thing,"

"Because love isn't real. It's a useless gimmick to provide hope for the lonely," flopping onto the bed, you curl up as Peter jumps after, following your actions exactly.

Peter sighs in relief when you laugh. "I think it's real," he opens his phone, "my mum and dad loved each other, Aunt May and Uncle Ben loved each other, Mr Stark and Miss Potts love each other- I mean, Mr Rogers has a crush on the same woman for 70 years! But I think there is definitely something going on with him and Mr Barnes,"

You look to the photos he had on his phone. Every swipe radiated pure joy. "Love is the name for a chemical reaction to cause positive hormones,"

"Well, then it's real, isn't it? I mean, sure true love and soulmates may not exist, maybe they do, but the thing is... as long as you're happy with this person then why should a label matter?" He shrugs, swiping through a few more photos.

From Natasha and Bruce smiling during a conversation to Clint and his wife, a man and woman with a giant ant behind them while a little girl laughed to Wanda and Vision cooking.

Then it landed on Thor and Jane hugging tight in a small dance you assumed was from years ago, and Loki and Anna sitting on the couch curled up just reading away.

That was love. All that and yet none for you.

"And hey, sometimes it doesn't work out! Like Mr Thor and Miss Foster, Mr Lang and Miss Paxton, Mr Doctor Strange and Miss Doctor Palmer-"

"Why?" You mumble.

"Because it just doesn't," he shrugs, "maybe there was a reason, maybe not, but all that matters is if they are happier now,"

"Are they?"

"Mhm! Mr Lang is with Miss Van Dyne and Mr Thor is happier than ever with his pop tarts!"

"What about... Stephen?"

Peter did a double take and held back his smile, "well, he enjoys his work, and I think he loved Miss Doctor Palmer a lot!" There was that look of disappointment in your eyes he had spotted. "But it doesn't mean he hasn't moved on, I'm sure they both have,"

"Really?"

"Mhm, I mean maybe he might even be looking for someone else to love," Peter then swipes one photo too far to show a picture of him and MJ. "Oh shoot-"

"Who's that?" Your protective instinct kicks in.

~~~

Y/n taking care of Peter like a parent is a must in my fics

- Anna ❤️