XXIX

I blink once, and fleetingly, hours later.

Everything hurts, I try to move but my body disobeys. I blink my eyes open once more and take in the unfamiliar scene. I immediately shut them back as a fierce, nauseating headrush, hits me. I inhale deeply and exhale, concentrating on not passing out again but the pain is too intense, my body falls slowly into unconsciousness again.

Instantly, I catch a glimpse of Sasha's blurry face floating just above mine, she's yelling, and then she's dragging my body out of the shallow water.

"Can you walk?"

I hum—and then I'm being lifted. I cry out in pain and then lean forward as Sasha runs her hand over my wound. A broken shoulder, sliced thigh, and fractured rib. Sasha heals my wounds and when I open my eyes—reality smacks me in the face.

I'm freezing.

I wrap my arms around myself to stop myself from shivering but it's impossible.

"We must move." Sasha orders and she's dragging me through the trees. We trek for miles and my body begins to lock. Sasha drags me into the nearest cave and hurries to start a fire. I desperately move toward the flames then I'm distracted when Sasha begins to peel her clothes off. I'm too cold to blush but I avert my eyes from the skin.

"What are you doing?" Sasha hisses and approaches me in only her breeches and sports bra. She then begins to peel my soaked clothes off my body. I can feel myself flushing—embarrassed. Sasha wraps the itchy blanket over me and desperately tries to dry me off. I shiver and the cold once again takes over my body. I don't think I'll make it this time. "Sash—"

"Not yet." She repeats my words. "Not yet." She pushes me down onto my back and lays directly on top of me and pulls the thicker fur over us. I shake in uncontrollable shivers and trace her scar with my finger—her eyes bore into mine. "You can't sleep." She orders.

I awake in a fright. Sasha is tucked behind me and it's odd because she usually takes the first watch. I nudge her and she doesn't stir. Panic begins to rise and before I can even nudge her again someone's voice is catching my attention.

"Don't be afraid."

I pull my dagger and the furs close to my chest. The figure stands in the shadows at the end of the cave. I shudder as the night wind sweeps in the cave. I nudge Sasha again, but she doesn't stir.

"She's under a sleeping spell."

"What did you do to her?" I snarl.

"No worries for your warrior." The figure's voice is velvet and soft. Its eyes piercing blue against chocolate skin. White fur falls upon her shoulders and she is tall with beautiful red hair falling along her shoulders in waves. "I come with a warning." She says—she takes a seat on the boulder that is connected against the cave walls.

I squeeze the dagger and shudder again from the wind biting my naked skin. The woman raises her hand and the fire becomes bigger. I intake the heat but move with caution. "I'm in the underworld?" I was on the brink of death, so it made sense.

"No. You are here—" The woman replies. "—however, time and space have been disrupted."

I narrow my eyes suspiciously and guard Sasha's unresponsive body—I squeeze the dagger tighter, "Who are you?" I hiss.

"I am called many, but the whispering prophet is one of them. I foresee the future, present, and past. My goal is to keep the universe in a state of equilibrium." The woman waves her hand over the blazing flames. "—soon, you'll all be extinct," images dance from the sparkling flames—images of people dying, the future I'm currently living in. "You must take back the sinister key."