XIV

I choose to climb the pyramid. My internal gut is telling me that my weapon is somewhere hidden on the pyramid. Plus, I wanted to be as close to the Horn of Flames as possible. The wind stirs up the wispy sand and the sun's never-ending rays trigger my exhaustion quicker than it should. The sun is cruel as it beans down onto my back. I choose to take off my jacket and toss it somewhere. As I look up at the sun, I do not remember it being this hot before the battle began. I notice a wisp of a cloud, but that couldn't soften the harsh rays.

As I continue to climb, sweat begins to build on my forehead and down my face before rolling off my nose. My clothes become sticky and I shift uncomfortably. "This is fucking ridiculous." I hiss to myself. "Of course I had to be the fucking champion." I continue to drop the f-bomb as I continue to climb up the pyramid. I look up and notice I've only reached maybe thirty feet up. I groan. I still had at least a few hundred feet to go. I think about my history studies, The Great Pyramid of Giza is around four-hundred and eighty feet. This pyramid maybe a little smaller. "Fuck." I wanted to pound my head against the limestone block.

The stiff, dry desert-like breeze blow and I take advantage of the little miracle. I glance around and I can see the crowd shouting and swinging their flags but I couldn't hear anything. Powerful witchery. I think to myself. "Could you lower the fucking temperature in here." I scream in frustration. I'm not sure if they can hear me or not, however, I am positive that they can spell the weather and send wind my way.

I continue to climb in silence and this level becomes flat. I arch my eyebrow in confusion but continue to hike forward. The sandy dirt-like ground becomes green. I walk slowly and take in my surroundings. Trees begin to sway and I look ahead and notice a mile out is another pyramid. However, it is smaller. The Horn of Flames sits above it and glows off the sun.

I stick with my original plan and begin to slowly jog in that direction. The deeper I walk the further away the people seem to be. I literally have to squint my eyes to see them. "What in the name of witchery." I mutter to myself.

I begin to hear water like sounds and I head in that direction. My eyes widen and I lick my lips. The water tumble down the hillside in a series of mini waterfalls. I sprint that way and fall to my knees and begin to sip the water greedily. I splash some on my face and sigh in pleasure. I wipe my face and blink the water dripping from my eyelids. I see my reflection in the crystal water and something sparkles beneath. I bend a little more and my eyes widen as I see my daggers below the surface.

Then, something else catches my attention. Sasha also in my reflection. "Fuck." I mutter before moving. Sasha cries out and swings her sword toward my head. I dodge the attack and hurry to my feet. Sasha smirk widens, "You're late. I've been waiting patiently for you."

I roll my eyes. Of course, the beautiful waterfall is a trap. I get in a fighting stance and Sasha taunts, "You have yet to find your weapon? What have you been doing for two hours?"

I clench my jaw and my eyes narrow in anger. I bawl my fist and Sasha stand tall and strong. She is wearing a simple sleeveless shirt that shows off her muscles as she squeezes the hilt of Athene. She is wearing dark fitted pants that are covered in dust and they are tucked in her high boots that also carry various daggers. Her hair is pulled up in a high bun, the sides freshly shaved. She wears jewelry. A necklace that shows the phoenix symbol and large gage stick earring.

She put Athene away and gives me a cocky grin. She also gets in a fighting stance. I stand patiently. This is it. Sasha chooses to make the first move and she is upon me quickly. I attempt to block the first blow but I am not quick enough. I instantly taste blood on my tongue.

I dodge the left swipe to my face and switch my feet before pushing her away from me. Sasha chuckles and charges back onto me. I block her side-kick but she moves and swipes her other leg beneath me, tripping me onto my back.