IX

I never once noticed how much time is so much like water; that it can pass slowly, a drop at a time, even freeze, or rush by in a blink. "She's in shock." I hear someone nearby mutter. "The wound around her neck will bruise but heal in no time from this." I watch as the doctor pass ointment to my grandmother. I'm sitting in a chair in the kitchen and I don't know when the doctor arrived. "Rest is what is important right now. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to give me a call."

The next few hours, go by in a blur and I don't speak much because it hurt too much. However, when I awake the next morning I noticed that the bruise around my neck is gone. "It's witchcraft." I mutter to myself. I dress quickly and head downstairs. Queen is preparing breakfast as if everything is normal. I'm usually excited about her meals but this morning I only poke and stab the meal.

"You need to eat." Queen orders. "Or you will be sick."

I roll my eyes and flinch expecting the cane to hit my ankle, but no assault comes. I look up and Queen is watching me intently. Her beautiful hair is pinned up on the top of her head and her brown eyes are studying me. However, she looks weaker than usual.

"What are you?" I question.

"Is it not obvious?" Queen replies.

I frown and cross my arms over my chest. I should be the only one being sarcastic. "I was attacked last night. Almost murdered."

"But, you weren't." She replies.

I sigh and run my fingers through my hair. Before I could question more someone is knocking on the door. Queen gets up and two police officers step into the kitchen. I take notice of their eyes glancing at the hot meal on the stove and their bellies growling.

"Please," Queen says. "Help yourself."

The policemen jump right into it and grab plates and eat while questioning me about what happened last night. I explain to them and leave out the details about Queen magical powers. I'm then sent off to school. Queen doesn't try to stop me, and I am grateful. I needed space and air. I connect my bike to the rail and before I could step through the doors someone is snatching me by the arm and dragging me around the building. I don't hesitate and punch whoever dares to attack me again.

"Ouch."

I look shocked at Dimitri holding his nose. "I'm sorry." I immediately say. I then frown. "Why would you grab me like that anyway?"

Dimitri mumbles something and wiggles his nose making sure it's not broken. He scowls. "I heard what happened at Queen resident. Are you okay?" He asks.

I chew on my bottom lip. If he heard that mean everyone knows. I roll my eyes. The problem of staying in a small town. "I'm fine." I spat.

He nods his head, and do not question me further. I wanted to walk away and forget about everything, but I couldn't hold my tongue. I tell him everything. Including Queen and her 'magical' powers. He arches his eyebrow at me in confusion and for a second, I think he may start judging me even though he's the one who talks to dead people.

"You seem more upset about Queen saving you than the attacker."

"Are you even listening to me?" I frown. "She didn't lift a finger—"

"Your grandmother is very powerful." Dimitri explains. "I figured you understood this-"

"What?" I scoff. "None of this is real."

Dimitri cocks his head to the side, "I believe you've been in denial this entire time, Hal. Red Water is not ordinary at all. Witchcraft is considered common here. There is only a lucky few who possess the power. One of them includes your grandmother."