XVII

Once Sasha and I are clean and dressed in battle attire with the phoenix symbol, Sasha choice. I am surrounded by the others in the Level-K cafeteria that is not much of a cafeteria. It's a massive hall with long metal tables, banners, and obviously the food is better here. I look around and I can see a few blankets and pillows sprawled everywhere.

"We've been camping here since the terrorist attack." Sakiya explains. "We couldn't find you and after the death of Eliza, the town went into chaos. Creatures we have never witnessed before everywhere, killing everything in their path. Queen and the Elders tried to fight off as many as they could and some of the Phoenixes tried to help but it was useless. They were dropping like flies. Queen ordered us to go into hiding. We decided to come here."

Sasha is sitting on another table away from us but her voice is heard, "How did you get access to this level exactly?"

"None of your concern." Javier spats. "Not that you all deserved all of this anyway."

"You hold your father and ancestors' anger. To become a Phoenix is earned. Your great-grandfather did a wonderful job of constructing this school. However, he was blind to thinking this status would have been handed to him on a silver platter. Everyone has a fair chance. Eliza respects your surname and we study your great-grandfather designs. There is an entire class surrounding his work." Sasha replies. "However, it is not Eliza's fault that your family is weak."

Javier stands in anger and Sasha pulls her sword and gives off a cocky grin. "You wish to fight?" She cocks her head to the side. "I have a lot of built-up anger I would like to release."

I turn around and push Sasha away, "Stop it."

Sasha looks down at me, amused. She puts Athene back in her stealth and walks away. "I'll be in my quarters." She announces before disappearing out of the main hall. I run my hand through my wet hair, exhausted.

"What the hell?" Sakiya speaks. "We could have been sleeping in beds."

I roll my eyes and take a seat. I run my hand over my face. Javier pace back and forth in anger. I see that Iris is itching to calm him down but I can see she is not playing the supportive girlfriend role anymore. "Why are you traveling with her?" Javier asks his fist bawled. "Why are you protecting her?"

"I wasn't protecting her." I reply. "I was protecting you. Sasha would have slit your throat in seconds." Javier opens his mouth to defend himself but I cut him off. "I'm tired, Javier. Just stop shouting." I lay back. "I need to think."

The others decide to give me space. I don't remember falling asleep but a small nudge awakens me. There is a blanket on top of me and Dimitri is hovering close and handing me a silver tray. "I'm happy you're alive."

I smile, "Thanks. I'm happy you're alive too."

"Barely." He chuckles. "I tried to find you. I'm sorry I didn't."

"It's okay." I whisper. I pull him in a hug and he squeezes me tight before pulling back. "I have to tell you something—" He starts but Sakiya and the others interrupt him.

"Alright, sleeping beauty." Sakiya speaks. "We told you our side of the story. What the hell is going on?"

I lift up and place the food to the side for now, "I beat Sasha in the solo battle." I start. The other gasp and Javier smile with pride.

"I knew you didn't need to cheat." Javier smiles.

Dimitri chooses to roll his eyes. I ignore both of them.

"Right when I was about to blow into The Horn of the Flames the entire shield turned black. We could feel the blast but we didn't know what was happening out of the shield. I'm guessing it was the terrorist attack."