XXIV

We all hike with determination until the sun is disappearing from the sky. Luckily, during the day the high trees were blocking most of the sun but that didn't stop the heat from hitting our skin. We stop and make camp and I feel drained. I wasn't used to this type of endurance—I know with my demonic enhancements I was stronger, faster, and my stamina was ever-lasting but sometimes I still would curse my human needs—I need water and food soon.

We all sit around the fire and I spat annoyed, "We all didn't think to pack more food?"

Iris opens her pack and pulls out various pieces of wrapped cheese and bread from her pack. "I took these from your mom's—" She trails off. "—however, there is so much left."

I growl annoyed and the others look at me oddly, "What?" I frown.

"Your eyes." Iris whispers. "They are usually only purple when you are in your demonic state—"

I swallow my throat dry and my skin uncomfortable. I abruptly stand and pull out my daggers squeezing the hilt. "I'll go hunt." I don't give anyone a chance to follow. I disappear into the dark trees—I'm not sure what is happening to me. I thought I was fully done with the transformation but my sight was becoming clear and my hearing was becoming stronger. I roll my shoulders again—I hear something shift nearby and I take off in a sprint. It doesn't take long for me to pounce onto the deer and drive my dagger through its chest—killing it instantly. I stare at the blood on my hand in wonderment. I stick my tongue out and lick the blood curiously before spatting it on the ground in disgust. "Okay." I sigh in relief. "You're not completely an animal."

I hear something nearby and I stand in a fighting position. "It's me." I exhale again and Sasha presents herself from the shadows.

I narrow my eyes suspiciously. "Are you stalking me?"

Sasha snorts and rolls her eyes—she glances at the dead deer at my feet. "I just got here—" She says coming closer to me and the animal. "—it wasn't difficult to track you." She explains. "I will teach you to hide your tracks."

I cock my head to the side, confused. "Why?"

Sasha snorts again shaking her head, "Because I'm sure we are being hunted—"

I move away from the dead animal and curse myself for not killing something smaller—like a rabbit or something. Sasha is still staring at me amused as if she can read my thoughts. "Shut-up." I tell her.

"I didn't say anything." Sasha replies with that stupid snarky smile on her face. She leans down and instructs me on the easiest way to get the deer back to camp. We both carry the deer back and finally, we reach camp. We drop the animal by the fire.

Atlas just raises his eyebrows and Iris looks surprised.

Sasha pulls the dagger from her boot and she continues to teach me how to skin the animal and give me pointers on hunting and covering my tracks. I listen and watch her closely as she cooks the deer meat. "We can slice the leftovers and eat for breakfast but don't ever kill something so big unless you're feeding more people—you never want to waste a life." I chew on my bottom lip, guilty. I didn't think of that—I was so blood lust that I didn't think of the consequences. Now all this meat will go to waste. I think back to my old school and the class I took on sustainability and the chapter we covered on hunting and poachers.

Sasha squeezes my shoulder, "It's fine." She pauses and takes a bite out of the meat. "We will wrap as much as possible and eat it for lunch."

I nod my head and take a bite out of the meat myself. I'm surprised by the juiciness—it didn't have seasoning and it definitely wasn't on Queen's level but at this moment, it is heaven.