IIII

I rush down the stairs and glance at the table that is set up in a traditional manner. Queen is by the stove cooking breakfast. She's wearing a long skirt with a fancy top. I arch my eyebrow before the scent of the kitchen distract me. As usual, the house smells delightful.

I toss my book bag in the corner and take a seat and patiently wait for my morning meal. Queen finally approach the table with a bowl and I sit up in excitement to see what meal she has prepared this morning. I look down at the bowl in confusion. "Oatmeal?" I question. I glance at the stove and notice there is pancakes, eggs, and bacon.

"Today is an important day for you." Queen speaks elegantly. "We don't need you throwing up on the field."

"What?" I ask.

Queen ignores me and walks toward the front door. She grabs her broom and began to sweep off the front porch. I pick up my spoon and poke at the oatmeal. There are fresh strawberries and bananas resting on top but it didn't look as good as the bacon and pancakes on the stove. I push the bowl away and slowly approach the stove. I pick up a piece of bacon and suddenly my hand is being smacked.

"Ouch." I hiss annoyed. I look up and Queen is shooing me away. I groan and sit at the table and begin to eat the oatmeal. It's actually really good. The best oatmeal I have ever had. I devour it just like any meal Queen presents to me. When I finish I grab my things and wait for Queen at the door.

She comes into the main room and says, "You will be biking to school for now on." She looks me up and down and she presses her lips together. "You're getting fat."

I'm offended. My eyebrows furrow together in confusion. "You said two weeks ago I was too skinny—" I pause. There is no reason in arguing with the old lady. "I don't have a bike." I say with an attitude.

Queen cane connects with my ankle and I hiss. "Ouch." She pokes the cane at my ribs and I step out the front door to avoid the assault. I immediately notice the green bike resting on the side of the house.

I sigh and roll my eyes. I pick up the bicycle and take it off the porch. I settle and push off towards town. As I pedal across the bridge there is an old black pickup truck bypassing me.

I make it to campus on time and connect my new bike to the rack. I walk into the building looking the same as the other students. The uniform on my body is a constant reminder that I hate my father and I should continue to do so.

I walk through the tricky hall with a powerful stride and I notice Javier and the others at my locker. All of them is standing in gym shorts and shirts that have the school brand on it, a phoenix. I cock my head to the side in confusion.

I am literally always confused these days.

"Why are you in your school uniform?" Sakiya asks while tapping her foot. She glances at her watch that is strap to her wrist and then looks back at me with impatience.

"Because it is the school policy." I answer while rolling my eyes. I put in the combination for my locker and then pull it open. I put away my bag and notice the shorts and shirt resting in my locker neatly folded. I pull them out and stare at them oddly.

"I'm guessing no one informed princess here. We're going to be late waiting around for her." Sakiya frown while folding her arms across her chest.

I slam my locker because it is too early to be getting bitched at by Sakiya. I pinch the bridge of my nose and ask, "What are you talking about?"

Iris steps forward and explains before Sakiya could say anything more. "Today is the first day of Elders Fest."

I cock my head to the side confused but the bell above me blares loudly. "Shit." Sakiya hiss. "We're going to be late." She pulls me toward the nearest bathroom and order, "Change quickly." I could see the seriousness in her dark eyes so I quickly change from my skirt and button-up to the training shorts and a shirt.