VIII

Punishment is nothing new to me. Back home in the city I always found a way to trouble or rather trouble somehow always found me. It is a long and dull Saturday morning and I am expected to do chores and stay in my room. I throw my bouncy ball towards the wall and it bounces back my way. I can hear Queen footsteps heading towards my room. My door is pushed open aggressively. I look up annoyed.

"I'm heading to the cafe." Queen explains. "I expect this house to be spotless once I am back." Thunderclaps outside my window. Queen squint her eyes and say, "I guess the storm you speak of is here." With that Queen slams my door behind her.

"Petty." I mutter.

I can hear her car roaring to life. Not long after she is speeding away and across the blood-red lake. I busy myself and start with the dishes in the kitchen, before heading to the washroom and doing laundry, I even sweep the front porch and maintain the garden.

I put in my earbuds and approach the lake. I walk down the dock and closer to the water. It is peaceful. As my music begins to switch to the next song I can hear someone close behind me. I turn quickly and shout. Next, I'm tripping on my feet and falling backward into the water.

Water immediately surrounds me and it is as if something is pulling me down. I swing my arms in the water but it's inevitable. My heart begins to beat against my chest. "Find the key." I turn my head at the voice and something swims across my face.

I'm then pulled up and towards the surface. I engulf as much air as possible. The light shines down and I'm not surrounded by darkness, anymore. Dimitri helps me up and onto the dock. I fall back exhausted. "Are you nuts!" I scream at him.

He breathes harshly next to me as he bends over touching his knees. "I'm sorry." He inhales. "I called your name several times."

"Headphones, idiot!" I snap harshly. "Thankfully, my phone is waterproof asshole."

Dimitri looks at my phone curiously. "I'm sorry again." He apologizes. I take him in. This dude is weird. He is soaking wet but he stands as if he had been in worse predicaments. I finally stand onto my feet and say, "Follow me." Dimitri nods his head and we head back in my grandmother's home. Dimitri looks around curiously and I say, "Strip."

He turns darker and looks away embarrassed. I roll my eyes my patience short at this point, "I just cleaned. I don't need you trailing puddles of water." I toss him a towel and a pair of shorts and a shirt. I then disappear and begin to change clothes quickly.

We meet in the kitchen and he is staring at everything awkwardly. "What are you doing here?" I question. Dimitri jumps in surprise.

I take a seat and repeat myself, "Why are you here?"

"I wanted to talk." Dimitri says. "Thank you for saving me at the cemetery."

"Okay. What is it you wish you talk about?" I question.

"I may have a solution to our problem." Dimitri announces. This immediately gets my attention. "We could possibly stop the voices and visions."

"How?" I ask.

"We cast a blocking spell."

There is silence for a split second before I am chuckling in amusement. Dimitri's face becomes dreadful. He stands and says, "I thought you were different." He then makes his way toward the front door. I chase behind him.

"Wait."

"I'm not here to be made out of a joke." He hisses.

I squeeze his shoulder and he stops. "I'm sorry." I sigh in defeat. "Since I've arrived in this town everything has changed for me. I'm not sure what to believe. Maybe I'm crazy—"