XX

I'm surrounded by four walls and a single door. There are no doors for me to keep up with night and day. There is a cot in the corner but sleep does not come easy. I'm not sure how long I've been here but I can only guess a couple of days. There is food pushed through a slot every so many hours. I count backward in my head before talking to myself and then imagining talking to my mother. I'm going insane. I stand and scream in outrage before I am tossing the cot over and throwing the metal tray of bread and slice turkey toward the wall, in rage.

The single door is open and I prepare myself for a fight. The men hurry and rush in before tackling me to the floor. A single bag is thrown over my head, my hands tied behind my back, and then I'm escorted forward. I can feel the sun on my skin, I can smell nature, and I can hear birds chirping nearby. I take advantage of the moment, even though I cannot see it.

I force my eyes to adjust once the bag is pulled from my head. There are several people standing in front of me with hoods. "Elders." I spat. I soon notice that someone is placing a noose around my neck.

One of the Elders stands, "Hal Ashes. You will be executed for treason, performing dark witchery, and your demonic abilities."

Time soon begins to slow and memories flash through my mind. What a waste. My entire life has been a lie. I cannot think of a single reason to live. I have no mother to go home to, no father, my grandmother is probably dead, and my friends are gone. I have nothing and I have no one.

But, I'm scared.

The floor below my feet disappears I don't have time to think if it's witchery or not. The drop doesn't snap my neck, leaving me dangling from the rope, my feet scraping the ground. The pain takes over and I just want it to be over. I cannot feel the sun anymore, I cannot hear the birds, and the Elders ahead of me are becoming a blur as I continue to dangle to my death. "Stop." A voice thunders so loudly that my deathly ears even catch them. The figure is moving frantically and then a single arrow is soaring through the air and I'm falling onto my side.

I inhale as much as possible, air filling my lungs, my senses returning to my body.

"What is the meaning of this?" Someone questions in anger. "You will be punished for this interruption."

"You cannot kill her, idiot." The noose is pulled from over my neck, my wrist is freed from the ropes, and I can feel my body healing instantly. "You're okay." Someone whispers. I blink my eyes adjusting to everything around me. There is a lot of shouting going on but I can only focus on my savior. I narrow my eyes and push Sasha away aggressively. I hurry to my feet and snarl. I can feel claws, fangs extending, and my eyes changing color, a deep purple.

I cannot see their face but the Elders step back in fear. Sasha put her hands up in surrender and approaches slowly. "It's okay." She repeats but I do not believe her.

"It's not okay." I spat while rubbing my neck. There is no pain and I wonder did Sasha healing rid of the bruise that should be there. "They wish to execute me for being born." I narrow my eyes at her. "You sent me here, locked me up, and left me behind." I squeeze my fist.

"And now I just saved you." Sasha reminds me in a clipped tone. She turns her back to me, blocking me from the assaults of the Elders. I count six Elders ahead of me and wonder if I could take them all, plus Sasha. But, before I can make a decision Sasha is speaking again. "Hal can track Elijah."

"How?" One of the Elder's question. "Elijah has fallen off the charts and has been covering his tracks. It is nearly impossible to find him. How will she change anything."

"Elijah is heading for the Sinister Key with the stolen map." Sasha explains. "Hal is connected to the Sinister Key. All demonics are—" She pauses. "If you kill Hal we will never find Elijah and the Sinister Realm will destroy the world—" She cocks her head to the side. "Plus, Faye will finish us off before the underworld does."