X

I awake in shock. My heart is accelerating and all I feel is pain and suffering. I cannot form any words and I cannot bring myself to open my eyes. "Drink." I hear a fierce command and then as I open my mouth lukewarm water flows down my throat. I take in the water greedily before coughing it back up in pain.

"Rest."

I don't have any fight in me to argue.

I awaken again and I'm blinded by the bright light and groaning at the pain in my back. I slowly lift up and notice I am on a grass pallet and resting in a cave.

"Good." Someone speaks. "You're finally awake."

I finally look to my left and Sasha is sitting and poking at the fire crackling nearby. "Where are we?"

"Cave." She replies. "It attacks from above and shields itself in the trees. It cannot locate us here."

"The snake?" I ask. I try to lift up but I could feel nauseous building in the back of my throat. I settle back on the horrible pallet. "How did I get here?" I ask.

"You fell from the tree." Sasha explains dully. "You're lucky the branches broke your fall."

I shift again slowly. I now understand why I'm in so much pain. Sasha pokes at the fire again and I notice the small pot above it. She pours the dark liquid into a cup and hands it to me. "Here." She practically shoves it in my face. "Drink. We need to move once nightfall hits."

I sip slowly and gag at the taste. Sasha must notice my expression because she explains, "It's not supposed to taste good. It is to help you heal."

"Light magic?" I ask.

Sasha arches her eyebrow. "What do you know about witchcraft."

I swallow the disgusting drink and then answer, "Not enough apparently."

Sasha again cocks her head to the side in a curious manner. "Why are you here, Hal Ashes?"

I place the cup down because everything is becoming dizzy. "My stupid dad sent me here." I pause because I didn't want to discuss my father. "Tell me about witchcraft."

Sasha begins to add more wood and poke it with the long stick in her hand. It dies a little but after some time it finds its confidence and grows until the heat warms my face, orange flames celebrate with their wild flickering dance. It projects long shadows in the surrounding area as Sasha begins to speak about the subject that has been dancing on my mind for days.

"There was a time when Witchcraft was simple. It was agreed to keep our abilities away from humans. The Coven of the Eclipse created Kalahari. A place away from human society where witchcraft can be practiced freely. Humans are afraid of things they do not understand. There was peace for centuries but The Coven of the Eclipse split and that is when the war started."

"War?" I question in confusion.

"Yes." Sasha confirms. "The Rein on Demonics."

"Why?" I push.

"Demonics are sorcerers who practice dark spells which are forbidden and illegal. If you were caught for the crime your sentence is death. The darkness wraps around your soul which gives you abilities. Some more powerful than others. The Coven of the Eclipse didn't believe anyone should possess that much power. However, one of the sisters became curious and began to practice in secret. She betrayed her sisters and murdered all of them before fleeing Kalahari." Sasha explains.

"Who was the woman?" I question my words slurring.

"The most powerful sorcerer in the history of witchcraft." Sasha answers.