XXX

I almost puke—but, I don't have time because there is a battle happening around me. "I'll be sure to inform my beloved sister that her champion has moved on." Elijah mutters. I look down at him as he clutches at his wound. I then look up and push Sasha out of the way in the nick of time—taking the poisonous arrow into my shoulder. The force knocks me to the ground but it's worth it because Sasha is safe. Sakiya blinks in confusion and narrows her eyes before disappearing within the trees. Sasha helps me to my feet and I can't help but pull her into a tight hug. "It worked." I mutter before pushing her back in anger—my hand connecting with the side of her left cheek.

"What the fuck—" She holds her face.

"You—" I scowl. I'm holding back an angry tear that wants to fall. I can only imagine how her neck snaps as I look at her. "—I don't need you to give up your life for me." I don't give her a chance to speak but pull her into another hug.

Sakiya is found several days later and taken into custody. As she is dragged out of her parent's home, she gives me a knowing look and screams and thrashes—telling everyone it was me that murdered the people in the library, not my father.

No one believes her but my heart drops at the fact that she remembers everything.

As the remaining months go by, each day is marked as a reminder of what I have witnessed and what I have done, but it is worth it. Nightmares, control my mind at night but the day is replaced with love and respect.

As Queen prepares breakfast, I sit on top of the counter. I alternate sleeping here and at the school on level K, where I know no one will hear my terrified screams in the middle of the night. I lean over the burner to sneak a piece of crispy bacon, but Queen cane connects with my leg. "Off my counter." She hisses playfully toward me. With a laugh, I heap off the counter and take a seat in the chair. "Just like your father, impatient," she says as she slides a full dish in front of me.

I don't respond. It's still difficult to speak about him. People in town think of me and the others as heroes who saved the world, but I also know that they think of me as the daughter of the man who murdered the cult members in the library. But it wasn't him, and I certainly wasn't a hero.

"You know—" Queen starts. "—your father would be proud of you, Hal."

I nod my head.

Queen sighs and touches my cheek softly. "He would want you to be happy."

"I am happy." I furrow my eyebrows. "Just tired."

"—or traumatized."

I narrow my eyes, "Who have you been speaking to? Sasha?" She's the only one who has awakened me from my night terrors. The next day I moved my room to the opposite side of the wing—away from the others.

Queen chuckles, "That gal doesn't speak to me, only you and the others."

I huff, "Father would say, I should move on, we are strong—that our ancestors would be rolling in their grave if they saw me crying over the inevitable." I pause, picturing him, sitting in the underworld with his legs crossed, in his suit. "—that I need to move on."

"That reminds me of your grandfather." She pauses as she recalls a memory. "—your father and grandfather were constantly at odds—they were too much alike."

"He's right." I huff. "My dad—I need to move on."

Queen squeezes my shoulder, "Healing is the only way to move on, Hal."

Our conversation is cut short by a knock at the door. There are three officers. Queen leads them to the main room and, of course, offers breakfast. "—Sakiya has agreed to answer for all her crimes if she has the opportunity to speak with Hal," the officers add, clearing their throats nervously.