XIII

I stand in an open field and clutch my knuckles into a tight first. The grass is taller than I've ever seen here in Red Water, meadow-like but still green. The sun shines above the sky and brings out the open field and my three opponents charging toward me. I inhale and prepare myself for round twenty.

Javier is quick, he comes from my left and jump before coming down with a strong kick. I barely dodge the assault but I move out the way. Iris approaches me from behind swiftly, I turn and put up my forearm to block her blow. I'm pushed backward, but I keep my footing even though the tall grass is difficult for me to maneuver.

Iris and I go toe to toe and she is quick. She gives me a left jab before changing her style and round-house kicking me to the face. I tumble over and fall onto the ground. I growl underneath my breath. I look up and roll over when I see Iris coming down with another kick. "Fuck." I hurry back to my feet out of breath.

"Sasha will not stop." Iris reminds me. Javier comes from behind me and I swiftly block his attack before going on the offense. I give him a powerful side-kick to the chest. He staggers back and Zaria replaces him. Her eyes are encouraging but her punches are deadly.

I block each blow. I am losing my breath quickly. I try for offense but Zaria steps to the side before giving me a sidekick. I fall into the tall grass yet again. This time I choose to just lay there in defeat. I've taken several classes, father believed it was important to learn to defend yourself at a young age. However, actually having to fight was not as easy as hitting dummies and battling your friends.

Iris throws her hand out to help me to my feet. "You just have to watch for your opening. Sasha is strong, but it will not be impossible to beat her."

I chuckle, "Are you serious? You guys have a better chance of beating her than me. I only have two more days to train there is no way I'll be ready by then."

Sakiya comes into view, "We can cheat. I'm sure Carol can whip something up with her weird plants."

I roll my eyes but she is right. I need some form of advantage. "No." Javier instantly disagrees. "If we are caught cheating not only will we be severely punished but we will also be expelled from school."

Sakiya clip her tongue. "This is why we do not get caught, asshole."

I look and rub the sweat off my forehead. "She's right, Javier. I won't win alone."

Javier clenches his jaw and storms away. "I'll take all the blame." I shout after him but he ignores me and continues walking away. I hiss at the tightness in my muscles and lay back into the grass. I look ahead at the enormous estate ahead of me. I was surprised earlier when Sakiya was eager to train at her home. However, I did not expect an estate that loomed proudly behind creaky black iron gates.

It is a beautiful sight.

Iris takes a seat next to me, "The view never gets old."

I lift up slightly. Sakiya and Zaria have disappeared to retrieve water and snacks. "Where are Sakiya parents?" I question curiously. "I didn't notice anyone walking inside."

"They're gone." Iris explains, sadly. The wind blows softly, her ash-gray hair dancing along with it. "The fire at the library."

I gasp and everything begins to connect. I now understand why Sakiya is involved with the conspiracy. She understands Elijah's anger but does not support his ill-rational actions. I squeeze my eyes shut trying to picture all the faces at the library in my visions.

"Please do not bring this up again. We do not speak of her parents." Iris says, closing the conversation.

I nod my head and lean back on my elbows. As Sakiya comes out of the home her gaze seems to be somewhere else as Zaria speaks animated about a particularly exciting subject. I wonder to myself how was the Sakiya before the burning of the library. Was she always so cold and angry? I doubt that. Sakiya toss me bottled water and I catch it with ease, "Call the one who talks to the dead." She tells me. "We're gonna need him to win this stupid competition."