XV

Waves of throbbing and nauseating pain pulses within my lower abdomen. I try to block out the pain, to find some form of meditative trance in order to cope with the agonizing sensation. I blink my eyes open and glance around the room. I conclude instantly that I am in someone's basement. My feet drag against the cold floor as my hand hang above me onto a chain.

"Welcome back." I hear a familiar voice.

I look to my left and Sasha hangs from the ceiling the same way. I look around and crinkle my nose. The basement smells foul and the once creamed carpet is dark grey and gritty with grime. "Where are we?" I question.

Sasha rolls her eyes, "I'm just as confused as you."

The throbbing continues to pulse in my lower stomach. Blood slowly trickles down my body. "They stitched you up but not well enough." Sasha explains. "Amateur healers."

"I don't understand." I mutter. "What is happening?"

Sasha clenches her jaw. "I don't know." She replies. She pulls at the chain with all her strength but it doesn't budge from the ceiling. She looks toward me in exhaustion. "Do you have any bright ideas?" She looks down at her injuries. "They didn't take out the time to heal me."

I chew on my bottom lip and look around. The basement is not spacious at all. There is a nearby table with tools but nothing to help me out of the chains. I try to copy Sasha's movements and swing my body before pulling down onto the chain. It doesn't bulge.

"Worthless." Sasha voices.

I roll my eyes, "Shut-up."

Sasha smirks and I take in her body. She's not wearing her battered shirt but only left in a sports bra and her pants. There are stitches but they look infected and her face is badly bruised. Sasha's eyes follow my gaze and she takes in her lower body. "See something you like?" She questions with a smile on her face.

I scoff, annoyed. "You're seriously teasing me during a time like this?" I look around the basement again, desperate. I chew on my bottom lip in defeat. There is nothing. Sasha's eyes begin to flicker close. I shout her name in panic, "Sasha." She blinks her eyes open and glances my way. "You're not dying on me so don't think about it." I hiss.

Sasha smirks, "Death is not the end, dragon girl. Only the beginning of a new start in the Kalahari Gardens. I'm sorry." She pauses a mischievous glint in her eyes. "I should call you demonic girl."

I roll my eyes, annoyed.

Sasha chuckles before coughing up blood violently.

"God don't like ugly." I tell her.

Sasha cocks her head to the side, curious. "Who do you worship?" She questions. "You were raised among humans."

If I could shrug my shoulders, I would. "I don't know. I believe but I don't worship what society wishes for me to believe in."

"I don't understand." Sasha comments. "We do not have a God but we respect the Crowned and the Elders. They show us the true way."

I shut my eyes for a moment. "Humans have the right to believe in whatever they wish. There are many different religions and beliefs. However, sometimes people use religion for control and power—"

"You believe that the Elders is using their position for power?" Sasha questions. "You are mistaken, misguided. We are nothing like humans." She finishes in a spat.

I roll my eyes again. "I don't know what to believe, Sasha."

Sasha grunts but becomes silent. She attempts to shut her eyes again but I open my mouth, gaining her attention. "How many times have you won the solo battle?"