11

"You sure this is okay?" Luke questions looking down on Spencer who is curled in with his book on the couch. "I can stay-"

"No it's okay" With a shy smile he looks up to ensure Luke that he is totally fine with being alone while Luke goes for a run.

"I can go sometimes else I just-"

"Luke it's okay. I have been here for two days in a row, you are practically running around the apartment by now to compensate for the training you didn't do yesterday."

"No I am not."

"Go"

"Alright." Luke leans down and kisses Spencer on his lips, "Please eat something okay? That kinda slipped your mind over the day."

"I will"

"Thank you, I will be back before you know it." He ensures him again and then heads out towards the door. He knows Spencer doesn't like to be alone in his apartment, it doesn't feel right to him so he picks the smallest route that will still satisfy him and is back within an hour to hear Spencer talking in the kitchen. "You can have half."

Slowly he walks towards the room, seeing Spencer sitting on the floor opposite of Roxy and sharing his toast with her, putting it onto a plate for her too and then watching if she takes it.

"You don't like it?" Confused the dogs looks at him. "What is it?" His face looks almost sad as he reaches forward and touches her nose. "I can make you something else?"

It takes another moment before Spencer realizes what the problem is, "Oh I am sorry" He sits up straight again, sitting crossed leg on the floor. "Go ahead" With that the dog gets the half from the plate and eats it in ones before also stealing Spencer's. "That wasn't what I meant."

To Luke Spencer doesn't seem really mad about it, rather disappointed. "I can make a new one. But then I can't share with you, because you are gonna steal it."

She isn't supposed to eat their foot anyways Luke thinks.

"Hey you" Luke reveals himself and immediately sees the guilt on Spencer's face. "What is going on?"

"Nothing" He lies and starts slightly rocking back and forth looking down on the ground while Roxy comes closer, stubbing his face with her nose and Spencer gently takes his hand up and pushes her away just like they practiced.

"Okay, I am gonna head to the shower. Did you eat?" Honest Spencer shakes his head, "Why don't you order us something?"

"No"

"Not ordering, what I meant was just picking out what you want and I will order for us."

Roxy and Spencer grow together rather quickly and Luke has the slight suspicion that that is caused by Spencer tendency to overemphasize with certain things and Roxy becomes shortly even more spoiled than she already was but Luke misses how Spencer also grows depended on her.

"What's wrong? Deep breath, love." Luke is down on one knee in front of Spencer cupping his face with his hands after Spencer broke down in tears while putting on his shoes and Luke can't say he was really surprised after the morning they had.

Their first alarm clock didn't ring so Spencer did not have time to just cuddle in bed to wake up slowly, then he had a hair in his toothpaste which is the worst because he absolutely disgusts hair anywhere afar from on his or someone elses body, then he didn't want to eat because of that and all together every step of their morning routines just felt heavy and like it takes an eternity.

"I am sorry" Spencer brings out still trying to tie his shoes through his tears.

"You have nothing to be sorry for"

"Why do we always have to leave Roxy here?" Spencer questions between hiccups and tears.

"She is okay with it, she has worked all her life now its time for the quiet." Luke tries reasoning him. "It's okay, I promise she is thriving when we aren't here. And the kid that takes her out for walks? She loves her. You have met her, she is kind."

"But why- why do we always have to leave her?"

"Spencer what's wrong?" Luke questions sitting down in front of him, "this isn't about Roxy"

"It is!" He exclaims, his fist coming up to hit his thigh, "It is about Roxy"

"Okay, okay" In surrender Luke takes up his hands, "What do you wanna do?"

"I don't know" He brings out with a broken voice.

"We can figure this out okay?" Luke tries soothing him. "First of all we are gonna take a few deep breaths okay? And then we are gonna talk about what is bothering you."

"That she is always alone."

"But she isn't."

"She is! She is a trained dog, why can't she come with us to work?" Spencer yells and then let's his shoulders slump and Luke assumes that this must have been bothering him for a long time now.

"She is retired, babe."

"For field work. But she still works here." He speaks quietly.

"What does she works here?"

"With me."

"She helps you?"

"Yes!" Spencer exclaims.

"And that's why you want to take her to work? So she can help you?"

"And because she is always alone! I don't want her to be alone." He complains, scratching the back of his hand while he speaks. "Can we just take her?"

"We will take her today come on." When they walk into the bullpen with the dog Luke is fast to shut everyone with a "don't ask" glare and goes up to talk to Emily. "Can I talk to you for a moment?"

"Sure come in." She closes her file and gestures towards the chair in front of her desk. "What is it?"

"I just wanted to let you know that Roxy is here with Spencer and that I take full responsibility for that. I can take her home but Spencer wouldn't leave without her."

"No it's fine, she doesn't bother anyone." Emily tells him, "Besides she is practically an agent like Rossi, old, one time retired and still came back."

Luke snorts ones and then continues, "How would you feel about her being here all the time? Spencer asked about it, I am not sure if he was serious or not but I believe that it could be good for him."

"As long as she doesn't interfere with our work, I don't mind. Whatever helps him is good. I don't understand why there was no help all these years anyways."

"Me neither" For a moment Luke looks down through the windows towards Spencer, "Anyways, thank you, I will look into ways to get this approved property." With that he heads towards the door.

"Luke" Emily speaks up again, looking at him directly, "Thank you."