"twenty"

❛ absent apologies and panicked pack members. ❜

𝐌𝐢𝐚 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐚𝐯𝐨𝐢𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐉𝐚𝐜𝐨𝐛 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐠𝐮𝐞

𝐌𝐢𝐚 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐚𝐯𝐨𝐢𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐉𝐚𝐜𝐨𝐛 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐠𝐮𝐞. She hadn't picked up his messages or calls since their last unsettling conversation. The boy had flooded her phone with apologies in hopes he would talk to her, but alas, his words had deeply hurt the girl, and she was punishing him for it.

It had been a couple of days since the outburst, Mia having not heard much from the pack as she was avoiding the boy who practically lived at the Uley household. Her art class felt lonely without the loud boy sitting next to her, but luckily, Embry had been keeping her company since the fight.

The girl wasn't a massive fan of painting, but the scowl that graced her face wasn't due to the questionable brush marks she made. The Call boy was quick to notice his imprints face from where he sat next to her after he had begged Quill to swap places with him once inside the classroom that afternoon.

Embry had tried to cheer the girl up with his silly jokes and goofy grin, and even if it had brought a smile to her face, Mia couldn't bring herself to shake off the sad feeling her best friend had brought upon her.

"Mia, what's wrong? When someone hurts you, it hurts me too." The teen quietly asked, placing a hand on top of hers in hopes she would lower the paintbrush and tell him what had made her so down over the last couple of days, something which the whole pack had picked up on.

Placing her brush down, Mia turned to face the boy who had been the only person keeping her spirits up recently. She felt terrible that she had been so distant to him for the last day or so, but she feared what the wolf would say to the other boy's outcry, especially if she went into detail of their argument.

Luckily, before the girl explained herself, the duo was beckoned into the hallway by a wide-eyed Paul. Slipping out of the room quietly, the older werewolf instantly began to drag the two down the hall, stopping off at their lockers quickly so they could grab their stuff, still no explanation being made for the sudden outburst.

"Are you in love with Mia?" Paul bluntly asked once they had come to a halt to grab Embry's belongings. It made both teens eyes nearly pop out of their heads at the random comment, and a hard smack made its way to the man's arm from the girl who stood beside him.

"Wha, What! No." The Call boy stuttered out as he harshly grabbed his rucksack before shoving his workbooks in the locker and slamming it shut.

"Then why did you draw 'E+M' in hearts all over your notes?"

A loud snort made its way out of Mia's mouth. Something which she soon covered up with a cough. She couldn't help it; she thought it was adorable. But apparently, Embry didn't think the same as his face blushed bright red before he began stammering out excuses which made Paul roll his eyes before ushering the teens out of the school once again.

They all piled into the Call boy's car, Mia having being squeezed into the back seat due to her being the smallest. It was only when they were a couple of minutes away from the Uley household that Paul finally told them what was happening.

Harry Clearwater was dead. And the shock and heartbreak of it all caused his eldest Leah to shift, Seth then following his sister shortly after. The family had been on watch for the last couple of months; their blood being the ones of a wolf meant that any of the now-deceased man's kids could've changed at any moment. They just didn't expect it to happen so quickly.

The trio rushed into the small house after the short journey. Them all quickly spotting Sue sat on the couch, Emily consoling her gently as she cried. Both Embry and Paul made their way out back to try and find Sam, who was dealing with the new wolves, not before the former of the two gave Mia a soft squeeze to her arm in reassurance that he would be back soon.

Jay was apparently on his way to check over the siblings, which left the Kahele girl feeling rather useless. She did know the family rather well, but after the incident between Leah and Emily, they seemed to keep their distance until now.

The brunette teen could see the young Clearwater boy from outside. He looked older than the last time she saw him, more mature, yet his babyface features still remained. Leah, on the other hand, had changed completely. Her hair was cut short. Whether that was new or not, Mia didn't know. The scowl that adorned her face hadn't changed in the last few minutes of the younger girl watching the new members getting taught by Sam.

Mia did feel for the woman. She knew what had happened and all the history the Uley couple had with her. She just hoped the two would be able to overcome their harrowing past as every wolf deserved a pack.

The girl watched them for a while, the alpha showing them control and techniques until the sky began to darken above. She had brought countless amounts of teas and coffees to the two women on the couch in between her staring, offering her condolences to Sue, who thanked her as she took the hot beverage.

Mia was never good with death. After the incident with Wes, she tended to keep her grief hidden, deep down in the depths of her mind. Something which meant she was entirely content being a server for the mourning family as she didn't want to stick her foot in it by saying something inconsiderate by accident. But she soon had to face the poor Clearwater's as Sam soon brought them into the house after teaching them what they needed to know.

"Jay should be here soon to check you guys over. This is Mia, his niece. I don't think you'll remember her. It's uh, it's been a while." The older man spoke out as he gently side hugged the girl who leant against the kitchen counter with a shy smile on her face.

Seth gave the girl the brightest smile he could muster in such a sad moment, Leah only nodding slightly as the frown still hadn't left her face. The two soon joining their mom, who hugged them tightly, something which Embry wished he could do to his imprint who he could see was upset by the whole ordeal.

She had yet to see Jacob, something about him patrolling the area that Mia didn't entirely believe as Jared and Paul had left a while ago to do the same.

It was the sound of a car pulling that left the two imprints alone for the first time that night. And the first thing the tall boy did was bring the girl into a tight embrace. Mia was shocked at the sudden contact as she didn't know Embry was brave enough to touch her around the pack.

But once she smelt the musky smell of his aftershave, she melted into the hug and wrapped her own arms around his body. A small kiss was placed upon her head - something which brought her the comfort she needed in such a horrid time.

o. 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐨𝐟 𝐮𝐬 𝐨𝐫 𝐧𝐨𝐧𝐞.