"eleven"

❛ unwanted surprises and unsettling secrets. ❜

𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐝 𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐝 𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐌𝐢𝐚 𝐡𝐚𝐝 𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐤𝐢𝐬𝐬 𝐄𝐦𝐛𝐫𝐲 𝐂𝐚𝐥𝐥 - and to be completely honest, it had been the only thing occupying the girl's mind

She had tried her hardest to stay away from the pack in the short span of two days, but with Jacob now a wolf, it seemed impossible as herself and Jay practically lived at Emily and Sam's house when they weren't at their own.

However, blessings come in strange forms as once Mia's boss had called in sick, the girl happily agreed to take his late shift and close up for the night.

It's not that she wanted to get away from the pack as such, but whenever she saw even a glimpse of the Call boy, she felt her face heat up, and her hands would go clammy - something which confused her entirely as she had only met up with the boy a handful of times.

But she was a teenager, so she was quick to blame it on her hormones and such, but it still didn't explain why Embry was always on her mind, preoccupying it to a point where she couldn't think straight - something which was currently happening. The bell above the door to the diner that went rung broke her out of her never ending gaze into the distance as she thought about the tall boy.

"We're closed!" Mia quickly shouted out to whoever had come in ten minutes too late for a bite to eat. Even though it was only eight pm, the diner had always shut early on a Sunday, but once the girl didn't hear the groan of a customer or the door reopen, she soon dropped the mop she was holding and swiftly turned around.

"I said we're clo-"

The teen stopped dead in her tracks once she had finally seen who had walked in the door, and she soon regretted saying she would close up the diner by herself, as standing in front of her - was a vampire.

His deep red eyes looked blankly into the girls ever so slightly lighter ones until a sharp smile overtook his face seconds later once he had realised that Mia knew what he was.

"Sorry, my dear, I didn't mean to scare you." Laurent slowly spoke out as he looked around the small diner as if it interested him somehow. Only a few seconds passed before Mia's lack of conversation made the man look back at the small girl he could see was trembling slightly, as even though she claims she wasn't frightened of anything, she was currently scared shitless.

"I stopped by to find Bella Swan, a friend of yours, I've been told," He continued as he tauntingly made his way closer to the girl who had yet to say a word. Mia could hardly hear the man over her heart's loud beating, which only seemed to worsen with every step she took backwards.

It was only once the back of her thighs touched a table that she felt her entire body still, as Laurent was now only a few centimetres away from the petrified teen.

"You'll be sure to pass on the message that I want to see her, won't you, dear? I would hate to get those pesky wolves involved," The vampire almost whispered as he put a lone hand against the girls slightly exposed neck.

"I know how possessive they can get with their mutts,"

His cold hand felt like ice against her tender skin, and it took everything within the vampire not to tear into it like he desperately wanted too, but alas, he didn't need another enemy on his hands. So with one last look into the terrified girl's eyes, he swiftly removed his hand and turned to walk out the door, disappearing into the darkness of the night.

A few minutes passed before Mia could bring herself to move. It seemed like the gears in her head went into pilot mode as she almost jumped around the place, trying to get it cleaned up so she could go home.

The same went for her drive back to Sam's as once she had practically run to her car, she didn't remember driving down the long twisting roads to the pack house. All she could focus on was leaving Bella an overwhelming amount of voice mails as the pale-faced girl wasn't answering her phone.

She contemplated going straight to the Swan girls house, but once Laurent's red eyes flashed in her mind, she quickly dismissed that idea and headed straight to where her friends were. Parking her car rather badly on the driveway, Mia sprinted into the brightly lit up house and soon barged in without knocking - not like she would've done anyway.

The pack were all huddled in the living room as she came in, and it only took one look at the dishevelled girl to notice something wasn't right.

"What's happened?" Sam demanded once he had tenderly taken Emily off his lap from where he sat on one of the couches, the rest of the pack quick to follow. But Mia couldn't seem to get any words out, as once Paul gently placed a comforting hand on her shoulder - she broke down.

Tears streamed down the girl's face, and her body shook tremendously. Paul was quick to scoop the girl into his arms and bring her over to where they had just been sitting. The boys were slightly clueless on what to do as they had never seen the teen cry this hard, but just before Jared was about to pat the girl on the head to try and make her feel better, Emily soon swept in and calmed the girl.

It was only after a lot of blubbering and tears that Mia was able to get out what had happened, and after they had reassured her that Bella would be okay was when the waterworks finally stopped.

The only thing Mia was grateful for at this time was that Jay, Jacob and Embry were working or on patrol as she was sure the first two wouldn't have been as calm to the situation as the others were being. But alas, her wishes of the Call boy not seeing her with mascara running down her face were soon squashed as she heard the familiar laughter of both himself and Jacob.

"Don't let Embry see me like this!" Mia hissed out as she quickly grabbed a nearby pillow to hide her ruined makeup which stained her face. The wolves seemed confused by the odd request, but as he was the newest member of the pack, they didn't question it, and Sam was soon sending Paul outside to make sure the boy wouldn't come in.

Embry thought it was a joke at first once the larger boy had told him to go home when he had happily let Jacob into the house, but once his brooding eyes told him otherwise, he began to panic.

"What's wrong? Who's hurt?" The teen hurried out as he buttoned up the shirt he had just put on after shifting.

"Everyone's fine, look, Mia is just upset-" Paul began, but he was soon cut off by the frantic boy trying to push past him so he could get inside at the word it was to do with his soulmate. But the Lahote wasn't having any of it as he quickly shoved the boy backwards with a grunt. What he didn't expect was for Embry to growl right back at him but with more anger than he'd ever seen from the usually calm teen.

Paul looked in disbelief at the boy's outcry, but before he could ask him what his problem was, Embry spoke out three words that made him see red.

"She's my imprint."

o. 𝐬𝐤𝐢𝐧 𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐢𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐮𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐜𝐢𝐨𝐧.