iii. Storm

폭풍

폭풍

THE SOUND OF bells ringing filled the restaurant as Yuri made her entrance, wearing a fancy dress for this fancy Italian restaurant. Her shoes were quite wet from the sudden downfall of rain a few minutes before that made her glad to have brought an umbrella. It was mercilessly thundering outside, creating a nice contrast from the warmness of the cozy Italian restaurant, the soothing sound of piano filling the air. 

"Miss Shin, lovely to meet you," said a man who approached her carefully, his suit and tie differing from the other servants, which insinuated that he was the manager. "Allow me to escort you to your seat," he politely smiled before Yuri followed him through the full restaurant, each customer wearing expensive clothing and jewelry that they must have inherited from their parents.

She sat down at a more private table in the back of the restaurant, where the table was lit better than others, and where the music created a perfect echo around her. She was sat by the windows, where despite the glass being covered with raindrops, allowed for some sight of the streetlights that provided extra light.

"Feel free to order anything off of the menu, ma'am," the manager bowed a bit before retreating to the back of the kitchen.

She ended up ordering two of the most expensive items on the menu, which were the Florentine steak and the Ribollita, two dishes that she had tasted many times from her career, and simply by cooking them herself.

Living for a hundred years, the only thing one can truly do to pass the time is cook. And Yuri spent more than half of her life doing it.

She recalled seeing almost half of the staff peeking from their door as she took the first bite of her steak, and the first sip of her soup.

They tasted very delicious, though not quite surpassing her own cooking ability. She could compliment the rareness of the steak, she never preferred red steak, but this was the exception. However, there was something about the-

The pen in Yuri's hand froze on her notebook paper as suddenly, all of the light in the room disappeared, leaving the room in complete darkness. The music had paused, the only sound in the spice-scented air being the concerned mutters from fellow customers.

"Hello!" a shout from a man interrupted the murmurs as everyone's attention turned toward the manager, standing outside of their door. His eyebrows were stitched together, his sweat dripping down his temples as his hands twitched. "T-The power seemed to have gone out from the storm, but don't worry! We're getting back on fixing the light right now," he nervously chuckled as he attempted to calm the customers.

Yuri watched intently as a young waiter approached him, whispering something into his ear. It must have been crucial, as the manager's face went completely pale.

"U-Unfortunately, our electronic sliding doors are not functional, so it seems that you are stuck in here for now," he swallowed, and the customers began their murmuring again, while Yuri stayed sat at her table.

She was going to be stuck in this restaurant for who knows how long. Great, she sighed as she glanced at her food. Might as well finish it.

After finishing her food and writing extra notes, she grabbed onto her bag, making her way toward the bathroom in her best capability, as it was completely dark. The only light sources were coming from the flashlights from other customers cellphones. Yuri would use that feature on her phone, if only she knew how to turn it on.

She stepped out of the ladies restroom, after a tricky situation on the toilet where she couldn't find the toilet paper. Upon turning the corner toward her table, she suddenly bumped head first into a hard chest, causing her to stumble back a bit. She caught herself on her heels as she glared up at the cause of it, seeing a young boy, with dark-hair and particularly big eyes. His face was barely illuminated from the flashlight on his iPhone that he held in his hand.

"I-I'm so sorry!" he exclaimed, bowing a bit. "I didn't mean to bump into you like that, I'm such a klutz."

Despite not quite knowing what a klutz was, Yuri sent a fake-smile at the boy. "I accept your apology," she nodded before attempting to pass the boy, but he spoke up again.

"Are you a celebrity?" he asked innocently, looking down at her with soft doe eyes, a small hopeful smile on his thin lips. His eyes sparkled with the dim flashlight of his phone, his nose creating a strange shadow on his forehead. He seemed to have some sort of dark eye shadow on his eyelids, his skin perfectly clear with no blemishes. She was surprised at how he was wearing makeup, something that definitely wasn't common in her childhood.

"Excuse me?" Yuri furrowed her eyebrows at his sudden question. "I am nothing of the sort."

"Oh." Jungkook nodded, pausing for thought. "I was about to ask you for a picture," he awkwardly chuckled, running his free hand through his hair, his long earrings dangling from the action.

"Even if you did not know who I was?" she tilted her head at him, a bit annoyed by his intentions.

"Isn't that what people do these days?" he chuckled at himself, his hair bouncing at the movement of his shoulders. "What's your name?"

Yuri contemplated letting him continue his pursuit of a conversation with her, because he was starting to get on her nerves. Though, she didn't know how much longer she would have to stay in there, and making conversation with this little boy wouldn't hurt to pass the time.

"Shin Yuri," she answered.

"Cool! I'm Jeon Jungkook," he bowed a bit to her before smoothening out his silk suit jacket. Yuri was curious as to how this boy could afford a restaurant like this, being so young. Surely he hadn't made his own money; it was most likely from his parents. Perhaps he was a college student, maybe in a fraternity by the looks of him.

"So," Jungkook huffed in attempt to fill the awkwardness. However, the sudden burst of light into the room startled him as he looked around, seeing the room fully lit once again. "Woah. Seems like the lights turned back on."

"It seems so. My apologies, but I have to get home now," Yuri glanced at him as she fixed her purse on her arm.

"Oh! That's cool," he nodded. "It was nice to meet you," he added with a wide smile, revealing his front teeth that reminded Yuri of a small little bunny.

"Likewise," she sent him a half-hearted smile before walking toward the entrance. The manager had caught up to her as she was getting her umbrella from the rack, as other customers were trying to leave as well.

"Ma'am, h-have a good night!" he exclaimed, barely having time to make conversation as Yuri made her way out of the restaurant.