xxvii. Love

사랑

사랑

THE POLICE STATION was bleak; a lifeless building with chipped white paint on the walls and overly bright lights. It was a sight Taehyung was used to, but not for Yuri and Jungkook. Yuri felt as if she was in the equivalent of hell, except it was cold and humid.

To her demise, she had been there for hours. It was late in the night, well past midnight as she had been questioned by several officers. That was what she was most afraid of; telling these officers of the broken justice system the truth behind who she really was.

However, this dreadfulness faded when one particular senior officer, a beautiful woman in her late 40s, listened to Yuri, and served no disgraceful looks or words that she thought she would get. She looked forgiving, and once the other officers, in the ranks below, noticed her attitude, they mirrored it. Whether it was fake or if it was inspiration, Yuri had no idea. But the fact was that she wasn't being treated like a monster. She had explained her side of the story, the truth as it was, and was given no accusations or any prejudice. It sparked a bit of hope on humanity for her, something she hadn't had in a long time.

Jungkook had been questioned for just as long, and when Yuri watched him be escorted back to her, she could see his fatigue, along with some of the dried blood from previous events on his face. The poor boy looked traumatized, as if he had seen war and lived through it, and at this point, Yuri wouldn't argue if he said he did. And everytime she saw him, a pang of guilt would sting her heart. She felt it was her fault that Jungkook was in pain.

"Hey," he said when he saw her, his voice raspy from the sobbing he'd done earlier. The police officers asked for Taehyung, leaving the two alone in the lobby, along with the officers at the front desk.

Yuri stood up, walking to him and grasping onto his hand. "Let's go to the bathroom, I'll clean you up," she offered, eyes darting to the cut on the top of his forehead. Jungkook timidly nodded in response before she took him out of the room, and to the communal bathroom.

She locked the door behind her as Jungkook made his way to the sink, looking at himself in the mirror. She watched as his eyes softened, the sight of the faint blood on his face enough to recall the events from earlier in his mind. The piercing sound of the bullet hitting the man's forehead, the warm feeling of his blood splattering on his face; it was enough material to give him nightmares for years.

And Yuri knew that. She knew how much he'd been through within the past few hours, how he had a looming fear of death in any second, from two people. It tugged at her heartstrings to see Jungkook in pain. He was such an angel in her eyes and she hated that he had to always be the one who got hurt.

"Jungkook," Yuri spoke up, the tears threatening to spill out of her eyes, but she held them back.

Jungkook's eyes softly darted to hers through the mirror, watching as she slowly walked closer. The bright lights of the bathroom shined through her eyes, a sight that he melted at, the troubles in his mind almost disappearing.

He watched as she softly brushed beside him, wetting a paper towel that she had pulled from the stack on the sink. Jungkook leaned on the sink before Yuri brought the wet paper towel to his cheek, wiping the dried blood off of his soft skin. She continued this for a while, occasionally getting new paper towels and finally wiping the blood away. She rang out the paper towel in the sink, watching the water drops hit the blood stained puddle in the sink. Jungkook noticed it, his heart racing at the reminder of the earlier events.

He couldn't get the sight of Yuri out of his mind. On the ground, tear stained cheeks, eyes gleaming from her tears and from utter betrayal. He hated that she had to be in pain, something he knew she felt for most of her life, and he couldn't help but feel as if it were his fault.

A tear unknowingly slipped down his cheek, shocking Jungkook for a second before another one fell, and another before a soft sob fell out of his mouth, his emotions spilling through his throat.

"Jungkook?" Yuri furrowed her eyebrows in worry as she heard him, dropping the paper towel and looking up at him.

"I'm so sorry," he cried, looking down at the floor as he sniffled.

"No, angel, what are you sorry for?" Yuri asked gently, wiping her wet hands and grabbing a hold of his hand. Jungkook looked down at her hand, noticing the bruises and scratches on her wrist from the restraints. The sight had him crying harder, his hand shakily wrapping around hers as his shoulders shook.

"That y-you have to be in pain just because I was born later," he said.

"No, Jungkook," Yuri sighed, biting her lip as she tried to hold back her own tears as well. "I'm not in pain anymore, because I have you now. So what if you were born late? You make my extra hundred years of living and waiting for you worth it."

Jungkook slowly looked up at her, sniffling as his tears began to subside. "Really?"

"Of course," she sent him a sad smile before tracing her thumb on his cheek. She leaned in, pressing a long, reassuring kiss on his lips before pulling away. "I love you, Jungkook. You're the reason for my existence. You're the reason why I'm excited to wake up every morning, just so I can see your face. I'm so lucky to have you as my soulmate."

Jungkook eyes crinkled a bit, a soft smile tugging at his lips as he looked at her with complete adoration. He gently stood up, wrapping his arms around her shoulders as he held her tightly, eyes shut and his chin pressed against the top of her head. He felt her arms wrap around his waist as they held each other.

"I love you, too," Jungkook let out a sigh. "I can't live without you, Yuri. Thank you for waiting for me. Fuck, I love you so much."

Yuri let out a soft giggle against his chest, pulling away slightly to look up at him. "I can't believe I have confessed my love for you in a police station bathroom."

Jungkook smiled, sniffling away the last of his tears as he leaned his forehead against hers, bringing his hands to her cheeks as his thumbs caressed her skin. "I know, right? Isn't it super romantic?"

Yuri laughed, the sweet sound making a chuckle fall out of Jungkook's lips as well, the sounds echoing off of the walls and bouncing back to their ears. He leaned in swiftly, connecting their lips as if it were the first time. He wished to stay like this forever, holding Yuri in his arms, feeling her lips against his, and a warm feeling filled his heart as he realized that his wish can come true.