xxi. Brave

용감

용감

AN ENTIRE WEEK had passed since that night, and Jungkook was finally ready to get out of the hospital. Of course, it wasn't like he could go bungee-jumping or do any extreme sports anytime soon, but he was in a good enough shape to be able to walk from place to place. Specifically in his home, where Yuri demanded out of Jungkook, who opposed the idea at first, but decided not to speak up against her about it. He knew she was extremely worried of him getting hurt again, so he didn't want to worsen that.

Also, she had willingly cancelled all of her reviews to spend time with Jungkook for the past week, so he felt like he had to owe it to her to listen. They had watched a few movies in the hospital room, like Kung Fu Panda, which Yuri actually enjoyed considering it was a children's animation movie.

Yuri had helped Jungkook come back to his house, driving him and being the one to hold his arm while he walked. He didn't really need her help to walk, considering he was healing quickly thanks to his pristine immune system, but he admired the extra attention from her.

The house was clean when they walked in, having been cleaned by Yoongi already, who had additionally left some scented candles which he knew Jungkook had a thing for.

"Do you want me to cook something?" Yuri asked as she helped Jungkook sit on one of his dining table chairs. She walked away to turn on the kitchen lights, the nighttime darkness disappearing. The boy glanced over to his kitchen, feeling a chill run through his spine as he could almost see the man, standing with a knife in his hand again in the middle of the kitchen. Yuri took notice of this, speaking up to take him away from his thoughts. "What about corn soup? Sound good?"

"Yes," Jungkook sent her a small smile as he blinked at his hands. "That sounds good, thank you."

Yuri took to the kitchen stove, placing a pot of water onto it to heat it up. As she waited for the water, she turned around, glancing at the boy who had been staring at his hands, his fingers fumbling.

"Jungkook," she spoke up softly, stepping around his counter island to walk toward him in the dining room. She brought her hand to his hair, brushing her fingers through it as she watched him carefully. "Is everything okay?"

He nodded, his eyes not meeting hers. "It's just scary to think about," he said, Yuri automatically understanding what he was referring to. "I think I need to upgrade my security system. But would that even help? I mean, a hitman has experience," he let out a sigh. "Sorry. I don't mean to sound so un-brave right now."

Yuri giggled at his use of 'un-brave', a word that didn't even exist. She leaned in to press a kiss against Jungkook's temple, soon feeling his body twirl around in the chair, so he faced her. He fell forward, letting his head lean against her stomach as she ran her fingers through his hair soothingly. He let out a sigh, one mixed with both content and frustration as he tried to concentrate on her touch.

"You don't have to be brave all the time, angel," Yuri whispered. "If it would make you feel better, I would like to let you know that I am deadly afraid of caterpillars."

Yuri felt Jungkook's shoulder's shake as he laughed against her stomach, the sweet sound of his laugh filling the room. "What did you just say?"

"They're so awfully displeasing to look at. The way their body moves and curls up," she shuddered, causing Jungkook to pull away, wrapping his arms around her hips as he looked up at her with a stupid smile on his face.

"I think they're pretty cute, at least," he hummed before a solemn look fell upon his face. "The man who attacked me looked so... bitter. Like espresso personified."

"What did he look like?" she asked curiously as she pressed her thumbs against his temples, prompting him to close his eyes at the feeling, and also to pull the memory from his mind.

"He was this older guy, probably in his late 30s. He had a faded tattoo of a rose under his left eye, it was kind of weird. He was also bald," he stated before opening his eyes to look up at her with a curious look. "He kind of looked like Genghis Khan! Do you know Genghis Khan?"

"Of course I know Genghis Khan," Yuri said. "He was my friend."

Jungkook widened his eyes at her, his breath stopping in his throat as his mouth opened in shock. "W-What?"

Yuri squinted at him playfully, withdrawing her hands from his face as she placed them on his arms, running them along his bare skin. "It was a joke, I was joking," she scowled at him. "I'm not that old, Jungkook."

He let out a laugh, pulling her closer so that his chin would rest on her stomach, looking up at her with heart eyes. God, he could get used to the sight of her everyday.

"Get down here, I can't reach you," he giggled as his puckered his lips, expecting a kiss. She willingly obeyed, hiding a smile as she bent down, pressing a light kiss on his lips before pulling away. Jungkook frowned at the loss of contact, watching Yuri walk away toward the kitchen where she continued to make him his soup.

As he watched her, he realized that all he needed in life was right there, and after his near-death experience, he couldn't bare the thought of being away from her for more than a second.

Especially considering there was still someone out there who had sent a kill order on him, for a reason he couldn't even fathom. Any moment could be taken away from him, and he needed to make sure he spent every second with his soulmate.

-

"Is it that goddamn hard to get rid of someone?!" shouted the same person under the dark hood, in the same alley where the man had met them. The distorted voice filled the alley, the man cowering back in fear. "You were alone with him, and he's somehow still alive? You should be grateful you're still alive."

"I-I'm sorry!" the man cried. "It won't happen again."

"It better not," the person under the hood said, stepping back a bit. "I broke you out of jail, so finish the job you were paid to do. It is not hard," they scolded him before the man nodded quickly.

"Yes, yes, I will, boss," he swallowed, letting out an awkward and fearful chuckle before speaking up again. "When is that, exactly? W-When I get paid?"

"After..." the person had suddenly pulled out a knife from underneath the dark cloak they had been wearing. The man shrieked a bit at the sight, visibly jumping backwards in fear. "... you finish the job and get rid of that pesky fly."

"Okay! Whatever you say boss! I'll get right to it!" The man nervously chuckled before turning around in the alley, stepping out quickly. He peeked his head over his shoulder, his heart dropping as he once again found an empty alley, free of that mysterious being.